Tough Situation. Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jscho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to many pharmacy schools and actually got 3 interviews so far, already gone to 1, the other 2 scheduled for the next two weeks...heres the problem...I have yet to send in my grades for Fall 07 to any of the schools. One of the reasons, sadly, is because I got below a C in one of my classes during that term plus they really never asked for it. I have never gotten anything below a C in my entire life...I plan on retaking this class first thing in the summer and I am 100% confident that I can pull at least a B or better in this class. I know there are no excuses for this, but I must include that there were some serious family problems occurring during this time...uncle passed away, sister filing for divorce, divorces also with my two closest aunties, dad's gambling problem, etc...I am really worried that this one class can be the determining factor of whether I get into pharmacy school or not. I REALLY want to get in this year so I can be one step closer of becoming a pharmacist which I have always dreamed of and get away from the family drama so I can stay focused in school (All the schools I am applying to are out of state...). What should I do???:(

Members don't see this ad.

In this situation, I would say honesty is the best policy. If you were to get accepted to a pharmacy school for Fall 2008 matriculation, you would have to submit all your transcripts anyway. If you already interviewed, the admissions committee might have made a decision on your application, which means that your poor performance last semester is not as detrimental as you think it is. You will have to explain yourself if this becomes an issue, but I would advise you contact your school as soon possible and submit those fall transcripts. Just make sure that the schools you're applying to accept summer classes for fall 2008 graduation. Best of luck!

You should make sure that your application isn't in danger of being withdrawn due to not submitting your fall transcripts. I would get those submitted right away. The schools will see that below C grade regardless. They could always take back an acceptance from you if they see that grade and it could have affected their admissions decision.

I hope that everything works out w/ your family and the admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
RELAXXXX!! ,
You got a C after so many As and Bs, it should affect your admission but i will want to send in the Transripts as soon as possible cos that is an even bigger issue than a C in a class. Good Luck
Toscogo

I have applied to many pharmacy schools and actually got 3 interviews so far, already gone to 1, the other 2 scheduled for the next two weeks...heres the problem...I have yet to send in my grades for Fall 07 to any of the schools. One of the reasons, sadly, is because I got below a C in one of my classes during that term plus they really never asked for it. I have never gotten anything below a C in my entire life...I plan on retaking this class first thing in the summer and I am 100% confident that I can pull at least a B or better in this class. I know there are no excuses for this, but I must include that there were some serious family problems occurring during this time...uncle passed away, sister filing for divorce, divorces also with my two closest aunties, dad's gambling problem, etc...I am really worried that this one class can be the determining factor of whether I get into pharmacy school or not. I REALLY want to get in this year so I can be one step closer of becoming a pharmacist which I have always dreamed of and get away from the family drama so I can stay focused in school (All the schools I am applying to are out of state...). What should I do???:(
can you tell me your stats?? and the schools that you're applying to??
thanks.

thanks.

Before Fall semester: pharmcas gpa around 3.1, school transcript gpa 3.25, pcat 64 composite (second time), 1.5 yrs experience as pharm tech (also certified), pretty descent extra-curriculars. My GPA may drop to 3.0, 3.1 respectively after fall semester :(...I applied to well over 10 schools, got interview invites at three so far: Cal Northstate (already interviewed), U of Hawaii at Hilo (interview 2/23), and Howard (interview 2/26).

Please oh please oh please I hope my Fall 07 grades won't be a key factor in the admissions decision! :scared::scared::scared: I made it this far!!! It would be tragic if I don't get in based off last semester!!! I know I'm capable of Pharmacy school and there will be no distractions to set me back on my education! School has been and will always be my first priority!!

thanks.

Before Fall semester: pharmcas gpa around 3.1, school transcript gpa 3.25, pcat 64 composite (second time), 1.5 yrs experience as pharm tech (also certified), pretty descent extra-curriculars. My GPA may drop to 3.0, 3.1 respectively after fall semester :(...I applied to well over 10 schools, got interview invites at three so far: Cal Northstate (already interviewed), U of Hawaii at Hilo (interview 2/23), and Howard (interview 2/26).

Please oh please oh please I hope my Fall 07 grades won't be a key factor in the admissions decision! :scared::scared::scared: I made it this far!!! It would be tragic if I don't get in based off last semester!!! I know I'm capable of Pharmacy school and there will be no distractions to set me back on my education! School has been and will always be my first priority!!

Hold on now, i may have miss read your first post, your cum GPA is bordline 3.1 right ,so this D or E will bring your GPA below 3.0 That is not so good since your Pcat is so so and it may jeopardize your admission if this class is a core science suject like Chem, Physics, Biology, Calculus or English. If its not one of these courses you may retake it in summer
Toscogo

I know you are upset but you have to be proactive about this and figure out what kind of situation you are in NOW. If this course is a pereq forpharmacy school you may be in some trouble. I know my school requires a grade above C in all prereqs by the end of spring term before matriculation. So you better find out if the schools you have at interviews at have this policy also. Many schools require fall grades before final admission decisions so get those grades in! You need to be proactive and ask questions and find out your options. Maybe this course you failed is offered at another local school or online at some school in the spring. Find out these things now!

Hold on now, i may have miss read your first post, your cum GPA is bordline 3.1 right ,so this D or E will bring your GPA below 3.0 That is not so good since your Pcat is so so and it may jeopardize your admission if this class is a core science suject like Chem, Physics, Biology, Calculus or English. If its not one of these courses you may retake it in summer
Toscogo

Oh boy.......im not too sure what to do now.....really need your opinions on this guys......I still have two interviews left and because it seems like my fall 07 grades looks to be the doom of having any chance of getting in this yr, im now starting to think if i should even waste my money/time to even GO to these interviews..I will be missing 3 school days at a quarter system for these interviews..Yes it happened to be a core science subject....human anatomy to be exact, I got a D+...worst grade i have gotten in my entire life...I was literally at a 69.7% and prof wouldnt round and told me I was "lucky" to even get a plus on there....not to mention i got C+ in biochem in this terrible semester....man what am i supposed to do???:(:(:(

I know you are upset but you have to be proactive about this and figure out what kind of situation you are in NOW. If this course is a pereq forpharmacy school you may be in some trouble. I know my school requires a grade above C in all prereqs by the end of spring term before matriculation. So you better find out if the schools you have at interviews at have this policy also. Many schools require fall grades before final admission decisions so get those grades in! You need to be proactive and ask questions and find out your options. Maybe this course you failed is offered at another local school or online at some school in the spring. Find out these things now!

The course happens to be an anatomy course. One of the schools (Howard) doesnt even require anatomy....CNCP requires a semester of anatomy....and Hilo requires a full yr of anatomy/physiology!!! My school offers so many different anatomy courses such as comparitive anatomy of vertebraes, intro neuro anatomy, gross anatomy, survey of physiology, foundations physiology, plant-eco physiology, advanced plant physiology, theres so so much more with anatomy and physiology!! I'm going nuts right now I dunno what to do :(...I've gone this far! I dont want to give up this yr comming this far....I have spring quarter to register for any of these classes, will that be sufficient enough to fulfill this required course???I can take an anatomy course again, but it will be different from my fall semester course b/c I go to a different school now! what to do...

The course happens to be an anatomy course. One of the schools (Howard) doesnt even require anatomy....CNCP requires a semester of anatomy....and Hilo requires a full yr of anatomy/physiology!!! My school offers so many different anatomy courses such as comparitive anatomy of vertebraes, intro neuro anatomy, gross anatomy, survey of physiology, foundations physiology, plant-eco physiology, advanced plant physiology, theres so so much more with anatomy and physiology!! I'm going nuts right now I dunno what to do :(...I've gone this far! I dont want to give up this yr comming this far....I have spring quarter to register for any of these classes, will that be sufficient enough to fulfill this required course???I can take an anatomy course again, but it will be different from my fall semester course b/c I go to a different school now! what to do...

As long as you register for an anatomy class that fulfills the requirement and pass it then you should be fine in meeting the prereq requirements. I am not sure that is why YOU have to be proactive and ask schools directly. If you are serious when you say you "I have come this far and do not want to give up" then call the schools and find out exactly what you need to go and where you stand as soon as possible. Do not wait and just keep your fingers crossed, that will only lead to regret.

We can give you our opinions here or you can get the DEFINITE info directly from the source, the schools.