Tough states to practice Hem-Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Has it gotten tougher to practice in MN/ND and Midwest states

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madariman

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking around for jobs in Midwest/ NW
(In states like MN, ND) , Most Medicaid expanded states in Midwest with recent changes, I have heard is challenging to practice hematology-oncology/rad-onc. Tests and chemo/treatments not getting covered or paid for, lots of oncology nurses leaving these states and extremely tough insurance weather and overall very unfriendly admins. Many of these places are reportedly understaffed, just heard from a friend who practices in the area, He is miserable , Is this true?
I was looking at the challenges to the patients/ lack of services etc but love the lakes/snow etc. Unfortunately I am redirecting my attention elsewhere...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't practice in Canada's taint, but I do practice in a Medicaid expansion state, and my job has gotten much easier since then.

I suspect oncology nurses are leaving those states because the weather sucks. They get paid the same no matter what.

It used to be like that but not anymore as Medicaid expansion has been tweaked or is undergoing changes and they are reportedly not paying for procedures or chemo and tests etc etc.
yeah weather is bad but it has always been.
My pals in States without the expansion happier now I think. The rad oncs/ hem once and rheum are infusional reimbursement driven and denial of payments have skyrocketed.
Imagine not being able to get RAS or EGFR testing or having to do phone peer to peer for hours on many patients midst of a busy clinic for standard of care treatments and antibodies.

Jesús !

Members don't see this ad :)
It used to be like that but not anymore as Medicaid expansion has been tweaked or is undergoing changes and they are reportedly not paying for procedures or chemo and tests etc etc.
yeah weather is bad but it has always been.
My pals in States without the expansion happier now I think. The rad oncs/ hem once and rheum are infusional reimbursement driven and denial of payments have skyrocketed.
Imagine not being able to get RAS or EGFR testing or having to do phone peer to peer for hours on many patients midst of a busy clinic for standard of care treatments and antibodies.

Jesús !
I got people for that.

If you don't want to hear the actual experience of a practicing oncologist in a Medicaid expansion state (with better weather than MN/ND), that's fine. But, if not, why did you bother to ask the question?

Well I think each individual Medicaid expansion state is tweaking it the way they want maybe . Possibly MN ND are the worst and some not that bad !

Well I think each individual Medicaid expansion state is tweaking it the way they want maybe . Possibly MN ND are the worst and some not that bad !
Or...just maybe...it's not really as bad as you think it is.

If it's that big of a problem, go practice somewhere else.