Toughest Part of PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopetobePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Based on your experiences, what was/has been the toughest part of PT school? Which semesters or years are the most difficult in your opinion?

I have been out of school for almost three years (received my undergrad degree in 2008) and am wondering what I should expect/be prepared for, as I am planning to go back to school again sometime next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year and I will be done with my classes in mid-Oct. From there I will head out to my last 3 clinicals before I graduate next May. For me, the hardest semester has been this current semester. I've got a bad case of "senoritis" and all I can think of is being done with class and being out in the clinic! lol

I got my bachelor's in 2007, so I know what you mean about being out of school... I got back in the groove with classes for my pre-reqs, but now I have had a full year of no school again and I start PT school in around 5 weeks... Looking forward to what others have to say!

Members don't see this ad :)
As every school is different, everyone's answers will vary quite a bit. I thought every year was tough, but it did get more enjoyable as it went along as we went into our specialty tracks (not every school has specialty tracks).

The first semester was definitely the hardest for me. I had to get used to the fast pace and rigorous curriculum. I had to change my study style I had in undergrad, from cramming the last couple days before the exam and studying by myself to a new study style of reviewing my notes everyday/week and not only studying by myself but also with other classmates to talk through lectures and practice techniques. I had to take 26 hours my first semester, which was killer! Now I'm in my last semester and taking only 12, and we have Fridays off. It's like Heaven. Ha ha. But I'm with you riseboi, I've been wanting to be done with this semester since it started. I can't wait to be done and be back in clinicals! We're almost free! ;)

The first semester was the hardest for me, personally. We start in the summer and only have 3 months until the fall semester begins. It was a real challenge getting through all the anatomy (and LABS!) in such a short span. As others have mentioned, your study habits must change and it is necessary to studying something daily. I was completely used to cramming during my undergrad days...

After the first semester, I would say PT school is still challenging, but you get in a groove and understand what it will take to get good grades and stay afloat. I guess the best way to describe it is, you just get used to it. There were definitely some "hell" weeks and months throughout my program, but looking back it was do-able.

I am in my last semester of coursework before heading out to my final 2 clinicals, followed by graduation in May.

For those of you about to enter PT school, enjoy it. The time flies and before you know it you will almost be out the door. Remember, work hard but play hard, too.

the first semester of full classes is tough. we started with anatamy and only 2 other classes in the summer. We THOUGHT that was hard. The next semester (Fall) with full classes was Much more difficult. Taking 18 hours in graduate school is tough.. anywhere. Be prepared to focus and not have hobbies.. haha. :)

Getting in was the hard part. Classes are the easy part. When u love what you do nothings hard.

Gross anatomy lab and Neuroscience in the same (first) semester was extremely tough. We lost 2 students that term. I worked my ass off and passed, barely. After that though, it was WAY easier. Huge contrast between the first semester and the following ones. Now that we are in the clinical phase, it is not only easy but FUN.

Maybe I shouldnt be admitting this, but I've had more fun in PT school than I did in college.

i would have to go with 1st semester since you have to get adjusted to new study habits which can be difficult when you have a plethora of information thrown at you every day..

..that and anatomy lol but I loved anatomy
clinical is fun though! (depending on your CI)

Retaining everything is the hardest part for me. Classes are doable, takes hard work, but doable. However, it's the fact that most classes are tied to each other from semester to semester. You can't just forget what you learned, you've got to constantly review on your time off if things aren't sticking to long term memory!

I'm a first year student so I havn't experienced everything, but I would say gross anatomy. It was basically 2-3x the material of undergrad. Watch out for the head and neck portion!

Gross anatomy lab and Neuroscience in the same (first) semester was extremely tough. We lost 2 students that term. I worked my ass off and passed, barely. After that though, it was WAY easier. Huge contrast between the first semester and the following ones. Now that we are in the clinical phase, it is not only easy but FUN.

Maybe I shouldnt be admitting this, but I've had more fun in PT school than I did in bunny training.
What did you mean you lost 2 students? Also, do they curve the grades and kind of help push up along once you’re in? What was passing for you

I’m a year in and the hardest parts for me so far have been managing time/workload and accepting that my days of straight A’s are over. It can take a high hit to your confidence when you’re used to getting great grades and now that may not be the case. Best of luck.

What did you mean you lost 2 students? Also, do they curve the grades and kind of help push up along once you’re in? What was passing for you
I'd guess that they either failed out or withdrew.

I can't speak for other schools but my school did not curve. Ever. If the average was a 60, so be it. My school used exam software that would statistically examine every question & the exam as a whole, so if it was deemed legitimate and the average was failing, oh well, everyone took the hit.

Passing for us was a 73 for individual exams but an 80 for the class as a whole. Meaning you could get a 73 on an exam, but you had to make up the difference somewhere else to get an 80 for the entire class in order to pass.

If you got below a 73 then you had to remediate the exam (either retake it, or more often an oral exam with the professor, stuff like that). You'd still keep your failing grade & again, ace other stuff in order to pass the course.

If you failed the course, then you had to decelerate - meaning wait a year to drop down into the next cohort.