tour before interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am invited for an interview at a state school as an oos, and they offer a weekend program- tour on Friday, interview on Sat. I would have to book another night at the hotel if I wanted to go to the tour. Do you think it would hurt my chance if I did not go to the tour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the tour is being offered as an option and not a requirement: no, I don't think that events in advance of the interview significantly affect one's chances at most schools. They're for your benefit to learn more about the school, not attending isn't going to be held against you (it's not feasible for a lot of students to be able to attend those).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Unless they specifically said that the tour is optional, I would strongly suggest going if it is financially feasible for you. The mental thought of an admissions person could easily be... Oh, I guess they're not that interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was wondering the same thing for my upcoming interview at OSU

Usually at tours the day before, they hand out name tags so if you don’t show up for whatever reason, they’ll know and think you’re not serious/interested in their school

Reactions: 1 user
Im sure it's not supposed to affect your chances, but if you are risking half a million and 4 years of your life soon, go. Have them sell the school to you. Are they proud of their school culture? Clinical? Interships? Externships? Pass rates? New building? Graduation rates? Their tours show you the school and what the school is proud of. At max it'll cost you maybe 200$ more to spend the day. Well worth it IMO.