Toured CCOM today....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesposito

Idiot paramedic premed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I'll post a detailed description....

A

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so first just to let you know that if you are looking for nearby housing, I live in Lisle and it took me all of 10 minutes to get there. So definitely add Lisle to your apartment-hunting list.

Upon arrival, your first impression is that the place is totally obscured from the street by trees. Honestly, you wouldn't know a school was there if there wasn't a low-key, tasteful "Midwestern University" brick sign out front. Also, security is very tight... a gate, a security guard, a visitor pass, the whole banana.

I was directed to park in a nice parking garage close to all buildings. Made my way to the Haspel Hamrick Hall where admissions is downstairs. Waited about 15 minutes for tour to start with a group of about 20 people. Everyone introduced themselves... I was the only pre-med in the bunch, the rest were PT, PA or pharmacy.

Walked around and visited almost every building. Library nice although a bit small. Tour guide made a big deal about the "state of the art" sound and electronics systems in the lecture halls. But later admitted to me the campus is not Internet friendly, with only certain buildings and locations equipped with wireless.

Took us to an A&P lab where a MS3 happily showed us a dead body. That was actually kinda cool as it was the first research cadaver I'd ever seen (usually when I see dead people they are newly dead). My first thought was that it looked like chicken.....

Took us to one residence hall that was very nice, AC, chapel, furnished rooms. Then took us to another one that was a complete and utter dump... no AC, grungy, I wouldn't let my dog stay there. Another tour guide told us the residence halls are never filled and the grungy one may be knocked down soon. Wouldn't surprise me none.

Lots of little kitchens and study carrels and etc throughout the campus as far as I could tell. A few computer labs, some empty, some full.... but then again, this is the middle of summer and the place isn't exactly busy right now.

Teeny tiny cafeteria, but we are told it's up for expansion soon.

Lots of lockers for students to put stuff while in lab. Mailboxes for every student. Little health club/workout joint for students and guests.

A lot of construction right now too, as they are busily building somewhere to house their new dental program.

Lots and lots of stairs. Some of the parents on our tour were looking a little spent by the end... I don't know what that says about handicapped accessibility...

Not a lot of info on the tour itself about specific programs, but you were welcome to meet with a counselor afterwards to talk about specifics (I declined).

Employees seemed uniformly nice. The student in the A&P lab was especially nice and talked with me for a bit about his rotations, etc.

My overall impression, a small, really nice-looking school. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

A

just some inside info from a current student.....

1. according to an email we got late last year all buildings will be equipped with wifi in the near future. i believe their hope was to have it all done by time the new building opens next fall.

2. from what i understand (and i live off campus) the residence halls are all in the process of being revamped and updated.

3. all buildings have accessible entrances as well as elevators. they may have skipped the elevators due to the fact you had a large group and not all of you would have fit in an elevator. i know this because the first year of my masters program i sprained my knee and was on crutches for 6 wks.

just some added info for you all to chew on :)

just some inside info from a current student.....

1. according to an email we got late last year all buildings will be equipped with wifi in the near future. i believe their hope was to have it all done by time the new building opens next fall.

2. from what i understand (and i live off campus) the residence halls are all in the process of being revamped and updated.

3. all buildings have accessible entrances as well as elevators. they may have skipped the elevators due to the fact you had a large group and not all of you would have fit in an elevator. i know this because the first year of my masters program i sprained my knee and was on crutches for 6 wks.

just some added info for you all to chew on :)

Thank you!

A

OK, so first just to let you know that if you are looking for nearby housing, I live in Lisle and it took me all of 10 minutes to get there. So definitely add Lisle to your apartment-hunting list.

Upon arrival, your first impression is that the place is totally obscured from the street by trees. Honestly, you wouldn't know a school was there if there wasn't a low-key, tasteful "Midwestern University" brick sign out front. Also, security is very tight... a gate, a security guard, a visitor pass, the whole banana.

I was directed to park in a nice parking garage close to all buildings. Made my way to the Haspel Hamrick Hall where admissions is downstairs. Waited about 15 minutes for tour to start with a group of about 20 people. Everyone introduced themselves... I was the only pre-med in the bunch, the rest were PT, PA or pharmacy.

Walked around and visited almost every building. Library nice although a bit small. Tour guide made a big deal about the "state of the art" sound and electronics systems in the lecture halls. But later admitted to me the campus is not Internet friendly, with only certain buildings and locations equipped with wireless.

Took us to an A&P lab where a MS3 happily showed us a dead body. That was actually kinda cool as it was the first research cadaver I'd ever seen (usually when I see dead people they are newly dead). My first thought was that it looked like chicken.....

Took us to one residence hall that was very nice, AC, chapel, furnished rooms. Then took us to another one that was a complete and utter dump... no AC, grungy, I wouldn't let my dog stay there. Another tour guide told us the residence halls are never filled and the grungy one may be knocked down soon. Wouldn't surprise me none.

Lots of little kitchens and study carrels and etc throughout the campus as far as I could tell. A few computer labs, some empty, some full.... but then again, this is the middle of summer and the place isn't exactly busy right now.

Teeny tiny cafeteria, but we are told it's up for expansion soon.

Lots of lockers for students to put stuff while in lab. Mailboxes for every student. Little health club/workout joint for students and guests.

A lot of construction right now too, as they are busily building somewhere to house their new dental program.

Lots and lots of stairs. Some of the parents on our tour were looking a little spent by the end... I don't know what that says about handicapped accessibility...

Not a lot of info on the tour itself about specific programs, but you were welcome to meet with a counselor afterwards to talk about specifics (I declined).

Employees seemed uniformly nice. The student in the A&P lab was especially nice and talked with me for a bit about his rotations, etc.

My overall impression, a small, really nice-looking school. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

A
great info. thanks

and if you want more school specific info and live in the area, consider attending the health career professions day in september. you can reserve your spot on the midwestern website