SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Touro’s potential for landing a speciality program vs TX public school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DenTalFluoride, Dec 3, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. DenTalFluoride

DenTalFluoride

Feb 29, 2016
    I was recently accepted to Touro and still waiting on a decision from UTHSCSA as a TX resident. With financial factors set aside, I’ve been debating even if I do get an acceptance from San Antonio, I might still go with Touro.

I understand Touro is still in the experimental stage with the current D2 inaugural class. However, I feel the network and influence of the Touro brand will increase chances getting in a speciality compared to a big public school. Not to mention a more intimate relationship with the faculty for better LoR, more emphasis on clinical rather than research, and perhaps even less competition within the class. For now, I’m perfectly content being just a GP, but keeping my options open by taking the path of least resistance is nice.

Again, while tuition does play a big role in regards to risk with more years in school, it is not the discussion here, but rather the schools and locations themselves. NY also requires every graduate to do a one year residency if they decide to practice in the state. Not too sure with the exact details, but it is another factor I am considering.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    Go to Texas if you get in

4. sobertiger

sobertiger 7+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2010
  5. schmoob

schmoob Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    You'll have a better chance with SA.

sobertiger likes this.
  6. ncide

ncide 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2015
    For sure stay in Texas if you get in.

7. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Touro it is.

DenTalFluoride likes this.
  8. toothdriller2k17

toothdriller2k17 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2014
    what touro brand? i went to dental school in NY....yeah the touro brand is no bueno. their dental school is just another check on the list of money making schools they can open.

their location in westchester county is great for safety reasons, as it is a nice and even affluent in a lot of parts...but with that said, what kind of patients will you see? dental schools thrive on seeing medicaid patients and low income patients.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM
  9. wengerout

wengerout SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Go to Texas, trust me.

10. Str82th

Str82th Orthodontist Dentist

May 9, 2017
    This must be a joke.

sobertiger likes this.
  11. Nathangw

Nathangw

Jun 15, 2016
    Go to the cheaper school. Forget all the other factors.

12. smellycarabelli69

smellycarabelli69

Apr 17, 2016
    Touro all the way!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:05 AM