1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

touro ca and western

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by surferdoc, May 9, 2007.

1. surferdoc

surferdoc SurFeR DoC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Heyyy...does anyone know how hard it is to get into western and touro CA from out of state? Trying to get out of Jersey! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think these are schools that cater to in-state applicants in particular, although they may have a high percentage of instate matriculants. Thus, I don't think there is a disadvantage to being an out-of-state applicant.

That said, difficulty of admission to these programs is somewhat subjective. What that means is that it depends on your overall profile. Check their respective websites, class threads, and interview feedback for more information about mean statistics for matriculants, etc., and perceived difficulty.

WU/COMP has a high average GPA and MCAT score (~3.5 overall GPA and an average of 9 on the sections of the MCAT). If you meet their specifications, they will likely give you an interview pre-secondary.

I don't know anything about TUCOM, since I didn't apply there.

4. MaximLA

MaximLA Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know a few people who got rejected from western pre-interview, but got waitlsted at touro

5. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I most likely will be applying to both this year. I visited COMP about a month ago, they seem to be very friendly to oos, depends on your numbers I guess.

Which cali school is better is the question?

6. misspiti

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I talked to some out of state candidates at my Western interview and heard that if you're out of state and get an interview, you have an almost 90% chance of getting accepted.
    but i heard not so many get to the interview point. It may be more a roumor than fact though.

but again, it depends on your stats, if you have something in their competitive range i'm sure you'll be fine :)

as for Touro.. I don't know much except for that their avgs for GPA and MCAT are lower than those for western.
    I think both schools have it listed on their websites if you search around a little.

7. spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    From TUCOM-CA's website:

8. surferdoc

surferdoc SurFeR DoC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks guys!! my gpa is goodish 3.65 but i feel my mcat will be miserable (im a terrible test taker like that) but i dont get that back for another week or so!! but i guess we'll see!

9. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wasn't even offered an interview at Touro-CA, due to my science GPA, which was 2.9. :(
    So, sometimes, you can't even make up for it with an MCAT score (34.)
    I'm a little bitter, but I made my bed, thus I must lie in it.

10. spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, Stringer. :(

It's a case for a point that I usually make about both MCAT and GPA being important to the application process, and that, as you said, they may not be able to make up for one another. Gotta rock both.

11. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which is really the way it should be. I'm fortunate, though, because there are some schools out there that gave me a chance. I managed to get one acceptance and am still waiting on two waitlists.
    I'm a non-trad, also. Worked in health care for a number of years, and did a lot of growing up in the meantime. I don't think I'm that 2.9 student anymore, and I decided to go give med school another shot, and give it my best. Can't make up for past mistakes, but I can do the best that I can, now.

12. spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm sure your recent hard work and authenticity went a long way to sway things in your favor. Now, you are going to be a doctor. :thumbup:

13. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You have a great attitude stringer:) I wish I was more like you. I am just a bitter dude now hehe. Anyways, it is Touro-MI's loss!

14. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks guys, it's always great to hear encouragement. In truth, I've had a lot of support from a lot of people...family, friends, co-workers, you name it. I'm impressed by the people who go this on their own. We all have our stories, I suppose. Cool that we get to share them with each other.:thumbup:

15. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the original point of this thread. :)

To the OP: For Western, it is almost imperative that you get your app in as early as possible, and make sure that you are complete. I have my own horror story about my application, but I'll spare you the details. However, by the time I actually interviewed, very late in the cycle, nearly everyone involved in the process, including my interviewers, noted the importance of applying early and that through their rolling admissions process, they will take a bunch of people early - and that later, some truly qualified people will be waitlisted because the class has been filled.

16. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

3.4gpa and 31mcat way back in 2000 and got into WUHS, waitlisted at AZ, never applied to TURO, NYCOM gave me the X.

i applied early, had a favorable WUHS interview with who i discovered later to be some very stringent profs. lucky.

bc of rolling admissions, there will be a LOT of applicants accepted to fill the class size, but generally they have gone over that number each year to the point where in MS1 hall it's hard to find an empty seat druing exams, the only time when everyone shows.

my classmates have performed generally very well, esp our year. i've seen 3.0 and 28mcats do extremely well or fail out, but the higher numbers will on average do better. Duh.

so... throughout the cycle your better numbers will cause admin coms to look favorably on you, but apply early. my AZCOM and NYCOM apps were both mid cycle.

17. surferdoc

surferdoc SurFeR DoC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks guys!! trying to get my application out the first day!! i dont know if this was in another thread, so sorry if it is, but does anyone when they are avilable??

18. bnoosha

bnoosha Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To the OP

I am a first year at Touro CA and we have many out of state students in our class (although I am not sure of the percentage). I am pretty sure they are friendly to out of state applicants.

Good luck

Bana

19. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First week of June apparently.

20. spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    According to AACOM (from their website):