Touro-CA, LMU-DCOM, or WVSOM?? Pros and Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TawMus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been accepted to all 3 and wanted to see what my peers think the pros and cons of these schools are and which would the best to attend. It is a very hard choice deciding which school I should attending and I'm losing sleep over it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

What part of the country do you want to live in? I know if it were me I'd go for LMU because its only like 2 hours from my parents house.

I live in Texas currently but location isn't really as big of an issue for me. I would like to attend near a big diverse city, but I guess I would put the quality of education over location if I had to choose between the two. From my research, it seems that Touro-CA wins in location, but WVSOM seems to be more established and better standard of education than the other two. DCOM is the newest school so couldnt find much information on them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick DCOM out of the bunch. It is my personal thing. I haven't heard too may stellar things with Touro-CA and was less than impressed with the school when I was there. I love the bay area but just couldn't see myself there. I've heard good things about WVSOM but it is so frickin expensive and it pushes extra hard towards primary care. Not a problem when you find yourself interested in primary care, but I feel everyone should explore around a bit. DCOM is affordable relative to WVSOM and Touro. It also has nice facilities, kind students and a very excited faculty that seems to love their job. The new school thing isn't much of a worry.

I just wanted to let you know that I am a current student here at WVSOM and I love it. I think the cost is a little expensive, but it is very much worth it in regards to the education, quality of facilities and the great atmosphere around here. Also, don't worry about the whole "rural" medicine thing. Yes, they focus on rural medicine, but it is not limiting by any means. Most students here will specialize in something other than rural medicine. Also, their education and focus here really creates a great student and a promising future physician. Best of luck with your decision.

DCOM Rules!! I am not a student there, but it is my opinion anyway.

Isn't this obvious. TUCOM hands down. You can't beat the location or the weather. I have a friend in NY who said the weather this week was 4 degrees, feels like -2. Another friend in Minnesota said last week it was -12 degrees, feels like -25. WTF!!!!

Not sure if you have interviewed at any of these yet; but as far as my experiences throughout this interview season, LMU-DCOM is incredibly impressive.

If you have any interest in rural medicine that is your place. Technology was top notch with all lectures posted online and technology second to none. Much more relaxed and friendly than many of the other campuses I have been to.

Hey guys, I've been accepted to all 3 and wanted to see what my peers think the pros and cons of these schools are and which would the best to attend. It is a very hard choice deciding which school I should attending and I'm losing sleep over it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!:)

I am really impressed by DCOM's new technology and friendly environment. I'll attend DCOM next fall and I am from Houston, TX also. Go DCOM and we can be 2 Texans at DCOM.
Rockets rules <-- What I like about Texas. :laugh:

I think you should probably get accepted to these schools before you worry about which school to pick. Considering you haven't even interviewed at them all yet either you might want to do that as well. The interview will give you better prespective and well quite honestly if everyone here tells you to go to one school and you don't want to get your hopes up.

I am currently a first year at Touro - CA, and I absolutely love it. We have an incredible OMM program, and all of the transitional curriculum issues that the class of 2011 had to deal with are entirely resolved. My class (2012) works very hard and has very high averages in both doctoring and basic science courses. The people at Touro- CA are generally very laid back, and as others mentioned we have fabulous weather and we're in a great location. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thats for the great input from all the current students! Its been really helpful. I'm more of a Mavs fan than a Rockets fan, although they have been stinking it up lately..

WVSOM is like 60k/year for out-of-staters. and that is not including living expenses.

Cliquesh, check your stats before making unreasonable statements. If someone needs advice with a decision don't give them unaccurate details. For WVSOM, OOS right now pay about $51,000 a year. Still expensive yes, but there are many things about the area that off set those costs some.

This is just my opinion, but new schools are a big risk because you never know what you're getting. I've also heard plenty of negative things about touro. (not to ruffle anyone's sock but... rotations are lower quality i've heard from many people) I would go with WVCOM.

This is just my opinion, but new schools are a big risk because you never know what you're getting. I've also heard plenty of negative things about touro. (not to ruffle anyone's sock but... rotations are lower quality i've heard from many people) I would go with WVCOM.

Lots can change in in just a year. These reports about rotation issues just came out this year- last year when I was deciding which school to attend, I couldn't find any negative sentiments about Touro's rotations on SDN. It is important to choose a school that you feel will give you a good clinical education, but know that with every school you explore, things can change by the time you are a 3rd year. Especially for a young school like Touro- there is much room for growth at new sites and improvement. Touro also has sites all over the united states, so students are not confined to rotate in California.

Not every "new" school is going to have problems with rotations. I know LMU-DCOM has worked very hard on their rotations list and I have no doubts that everything will work out. Of these three choices I am most unfamiliar with Touro-CA... but I can say that I got an interview invite for WVSOM which I declined after my LMU acceptance. WVSOM looked liked a great school, but after seeing how great LMU was... it would be too much to pay OOS tuition for WVSOM.