Touro-CA vs. Des Moines University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

49erEMT

Reaction score
I’m currently really interested in pursuing emergency medicine since I have experience as an EMT and EDT. Although things could change I’d be surprised if I wanted to pursue a ROAD specialty, and see it far more likely I’d succumb to internal med or family med. I don’t know a lot about the clinical education at either of these schools.

Touro CA
Pros
  • I’m from the Bay Area, work and did my undergrad in San Francisco, and my in-laws live in the Bay
  • Might have a better chance of matching into a California residency???
  • Pass/Fail courses
  • Focus on social justice and health inequalities
Cons
  • Campus is really old and in Vallejo
  • I’ve heard negative things about rotation scheduling, and school isn’t transparent about where rotations are located
  • Rent/cost of living is expensive and sort of want to try something new

Des Moines University
Pros
  • Probably one of the best DO programs. Impressive outcomes (high comlex pass rate, high residency match rates, and impressive match results for a DO program)
  • Way better campus with tons of resources and a whole new campus opening
  • Impressed by the resources and curriculum
  • Better cost of living
Cons
  • Culture shock moving from CA to Iowa, have to adjust to weather, and farther away from family
  • Letter grade courses
  • Maybe harder to match back in CA?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently at one of the schools you're considering; if you have any questions, feel free to DM!