Touro CA vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been accepted into both USC and Touro CA pharm schools. I am having a tough time deciding on a school and have been researching extensively. For many people the choice of attending USC might be obvious. However, I am from the Bay Area and Touro will be a lot closer (although I will still have to live away from home), while USC will be a lot farther away. I like the idea of the 2x2 program and feel that the school might be less stressful. Another benefit is obtaining a pharmd/mph in 4 years. USC does have its prestige and reputation, along with a strong alumni network, which might make finding a job/residency easier. Can anyone attending these schools or who knows about the schools offer any advice on how they feel about each school? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the bay area and will tell you that the students and pharmacists I've spoke to that know of Touro speak fondly of them. Students come out of school well prepared due to the 2 years of rotations and a friend of mine who is a UCSF student even said Touro students were more prepared than my friend was during rotations, which was mentioned by the preceptor during my friend's rotation. There seems to be some bashing of USC on this forum and I personally don't have much experience with alumni from that school so I don't have anything to add on that. On the note that Touro might be less stressful, a pharmacist who graduated from Touro told me their curriculum is pretty intensive, with lectures 9-5 everyday during the weekday. The impression I got was that those were 2 very difficult years that sucked but paid off in the end.

In the end, this is all stuff I've heard from other people without having hands on experience myself. I personally would advise to figure out where you would like to work after you graduate and talk to students/pharmacists in the surrounding area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any experience with these two schools but when I had a very similar discussion with my pharmacist (about two different schools than yours), she said if you wanted to do retail, go with the cheaper school. And if you want to do residencies or fellowship, then go with the more prestigious one.

ideally neither. Both are pretty overpriced.

Reactions: 1 users