Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is why there needs to be hundreds of dental schools. They are so many qualified people who don't get in and just end up eating year after year playing the dumb dental school appliction game. I'm done playing games. I won't waste my time playing. Either accept me or not

Members don't see this ad.

This is why there needs to be hundreds of dental schools. They are so many qualified people who don't get in and just end up eating year after year playing the dumb dental school appliction game. I'm done playing games. I won't waste my time playing. Either accept me or not
Stop whining. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
Someone else is MORE qualified, that's all there is to it. It will always be that way. Don't blame the "game".

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear. Spend your time improving yourself as an applicant instead of being bitter and whining on the internet. Maybe your application is fine and it's a fluke you didn't get in, or maybe you have something you really need to work on (from looking at you post, maybe it's your interview and people skills?). There are plenty of people in your situation with much better attitudes about than you.They don't want hundreds of dental schools to open. They want to improve themselves to better meet the standards of admission.
Dental schools don't merely exist so you can get in.

Reactions: 7 users
If you want to quit then quit. Nobody is making you apply to dental school. If you really want to go, then improve your application to meet a school's standards. They shouldn't have to lower theirs to accommodate you.

Look at @tooth knockn. Instead of throwing a fit about not getting into Touro, he posted about how he was already working on improving his personal statement for next application cycle. That's the attitude you should have.

And I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but I deal with this from my students all. of. the. time. They expect things to be handed to them just because they exist. That's not how it works.

Reactions: 8 users
Like @fogorvostan said, don't want to work hard? Quit. We honestly don't care and don't want to sour this moment for people who are excited to be attending Touro.

Reactions: 1 users
Like @fogorvostan said, don't want to work hard? Quit. We honestly don't care and don't want to sour this moment for people who are excited to be attending Touro.
And conversely, if you have been rejected this application cycle and you're serious about wanting to reapply, make a topic about it! There are a lot of people in these forums who will go through your application with you and help you identify areas where you need to improve. But we can't help if you don't want the help.

It sucks wanting something so badly and then being told that you can't have it yet. But the good news is that it going through your post history, it looks like you got interviews so it's just a matter of improving enough to turn them into acceptances. It's understandable that you feel frustrated about the application process but it exists the way it does for a reason. Dental school IS competitive and rightfully so.

To everyone who got accepted to Touro and is attending, congratulations on your acceptances :)

Not

Reactions: 4 users

You dont really know who the real qualified people are until they get out their and show how good their dentistry skills are. Having good grades doesnt make someone a good dentist. For example, if you cant prep teeth for sh1t that doesnt make you a qualified dentist

I would just like to let everyone know that i am sorry for my past behavior. I meant no offense by it. For this is all new to me lets be friends. I propose a toast to Touro and this thread

Reactions: 2 users

You dont really know who the real qualified people are until they get out their and show how good their dentistry skills are. Having good grades doesnt make someone a good dentist. For example, if you cant prep teeth for sh1t that doesnt make you a qualified dentist

I would just like to let everyone know that i am sorry for my past behavior. I meant no offense by it. For this is all new to me lets be friends. I propose a toast to Touro and this thread

I dont know much about you but may be the competitive stats you think you have is not really that competitive when compared to stats of other people. the people you say "qualified" may not even be qualified to get admitted (decided by the adcoms). and the smart and the hardworking people with low stats who do masters, postbach, and still dont get in may be not even that desirable to adcoms and they rather accept fresh, young, attractive 21/22 year old students with great stats, average life experience, and above average maturity. You can't even say you are qualified to go to dental school (or speak for many other "qualified" people for that matter) because they and you clearly haven't got admitted to dental schools. Hence, you guys are surely not qualified.

having good grades mean the students can "learn" how to prep the tooth with full aesthetic traits in a reasonable time limit set by the school. students with good grades are the "low risks - high rewards". accepting students with bad grades with the hope that they can change, study well, and can prep the tooth super well is a "high risks - low rewards". Dental schools, and you, probably prefer the low risks - high rewards for all choices you make.

if you dont want to waste your time investing and pursuing your passion in dentistry, you can rightfully drop and quit. Heck, you need to accept the fact that many people with low GPA who do masters, do postbachs, and work as dental assistants for almost 1/3 of their living years, may not even get in. assisting experience/volunteer experience is required up to the certain hours but mean nothing without the corresponding good grades/DAT.

Thus, experience/volunteer/shadowing and average grades/average DAT open the door for you to dental school interviews. However, doors are also open for students with high grades/high DAT and okay EC. The good grades/good DAT score are the factors that get you in dental schools.

When the '15-'16 cycle starts, many many pre-dental students with average GPA/average DAT boast that they have 5-6 interviews and say stats is not everything. I'm pretty sure only a small percentage of these students ends up getting admitted and the rest of students gets on the waitlist and reapplies. The higher the stats students have a higher interview success rate (number of acceptance/interviews received).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This country is $18T in debt.

Let's print $18 Trillion dollars!!

Reactions: 4 users
I dont know much about you but may be the competitive stats you think you have is not really that competitive when compared to stats of other people. the people you say "qualified" may not even be qualified to get admitted (decided by the adcoms). and the smart and the hardworking people with low stats who do masters, postbach, and still dont get in may be not even that desirable to adcoms and they rather accept fresh, young, attractive 21/22 year old students with great stats, average life experience, and above average maturity. You can't even say you are qualified to go to dental school (or speak for many other "qualified" people for that matter) because they and you clearly haven't got admitted to dental schools. Hence, you guys are surely not qualified.

having good grades mean the students can "learn" how to prep the tooth with full aesthetic traits in a reasonable time limit set by the school. students with good grades are the "low risks - high rewards". accepting students with bad grades with the hope that they can change, study well, and can prep the tooth super well is a "high risks - low rewards". Dental schools, and you, probably prefer the low risks - high rewards for all choices you make.

if you dont want to waste your time investing and pursuing your passion in dentistry, you can rightfully drop and quit. Heck, you need to accept the fact that many people with low GPA who do masters, do postbachs, and work as dental assistants for almost 1/3 of their living years, may not even get in. assisting experience/volunteer experience is required up to the certain hours but mean nothing without the corresponding good grades/DAT.

Thus, experience/volunteer/shadowing and average grades/average DAT open the door for you to dental school interviews. However, doors are also open for students with high grades/high DAT and okay EC. The good grades/good DAT score are the factors that get you in dental schools.

When the '15-'16 cycle starts, many many pre-dental students with average GPA/average DAT boast that they have 5-6 interviews and say stats is not everything. I'm pretty sure only a small percentage of these students ends up getting admitted and the rest of students gets on the waitlist and reapplies. The higher the stats students have a higher interview success rate (number of acceptance/interviews received).

Two thumbs up! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Two thumbs up! :)

by the way, i like your profile pic, that is some wicked tooth canals.

I admire your decision to specialize in endo and end up taking out 200k more debt.

I will be in low 300k debt for everything when im out of DS (matriculating this year) to a public school that gives in state after 1 year, and i can't fathom the thought of specializing that will cost me 200k more (if i was even good enough to get in a specialty program)

Hey, does anyone know if Tuoro lets you transfer from their dental to medical school (NYMC)? If they do, I may be interested in that.

We had the same interview date. Congrats!!

Did you use your T-ID as well as Jan 01 for your bday and 0000 for the last 4 digits of ssn?

I had to use jan/1 and 0000 for SSN like it said on the instruction. At first, it dind't work, but I waited a few hours, then it worked.

I admire your decision to specialize in endo and end up taking out 200k more debt.

I will be in low 300k debt for everything when im out of DS (matriculating this year) to a public school that gives in state after 1 year, and i can't fathom the thought of specializing that will cost me 200k more (if i was even good enough to get in a specialty program)
That's kind of snarky.

If I had the chance to go straight to endo and it would only cost me $200K more, I would do it in a heartbeat. With the significantly increased earning potential it is a worthwhile investment IMO.

Hey, does anyone know if Tuoro lets you transfer from their dental to medical school (NYMC)? If they do, I may be interested in that.
DDS to MD? No for sure. Those two programs take their students with different criteria …
But I asked my interviewer during my visit of Touro about the possibility of a joint program(dds/ md). The answer I had was not negative. They may consider it in the future, but apparently not too soon. (Some ppl in this post may have chance to see the grad ceremony of the joint program as honored 1st class alumni b4 we retire--- this part is jking)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Thanks Frozenicecream. I understand the concern about the debt but if you have a field you like, my advice is go for it. I had a co-resident who was from UOP with 3 kids. He had over $700,000 loan when he graduated.

Thanks Frozenicecream. I understand the concern about the debt but if you have a field you like, my advice is go for it. I had a co-resident who was from UOP with 3 kids. He had over $700,000 loan when he graduated.

How is he doing now?

Guess there will be no more update today…

still patiently waiting...any news today for anyone ?

I had to use jan/1 and 0000 for SSN like it said on the instruction. At first, it dind't work, but I waited a few hours, then it worked.

Nothing has worked for me. Their tech support has forwarded my issue on to someone who will hopefully get it working.

Edit: Got in. Anyone complete the background check? They don't seem to like my reasoning for why I'm getting one.

Last edited:
No news is a glass half full. I'm sure there will be more acceptances from Touro toward the end of this week and beginning of next week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

No news is a glass half full. I'm sure there will be more acceptances from Touro toward the end of this week and beginning of next week.

Don't be too sure...you guys thought that Touro is desperate to get students. You know how many applicants don't get accepted to dental school every year? Thousands. We just are a very very small percentage of applicants that happen to be on SDN. Open your eyes to the entire America. Good luck everyone

Don't be too sure...you guys thought that Touro is desperate to get students. You know how many applicants don't get accepted to dental school every year? Thousands. We just are a very very small percentage of applicants that happen to be on SDN. Open your eyes to the entire America. Good luck everyone
I didn't say Touro was desperate to get students. I'm sure there will be more acceptances because at least 2 people from here have said that they would turn down their offers. Statistically speaking, the chance of having all 110 candidates accepting their offers is not realistic at this late time in the cycle.

There is nothing wrong with being hopeful. And if you had read my previous post, you would have seen that I am also realistic because I am making plan to retake the DAT this summer, just like many of us here have mentioned.

Hope for a better furutre is what keeps all of us here working hard, accepted or not YET. So I will always take the glass half full over half empty. Let the marathon continues, this cycle or the next.

Man calm down. If you want to be realistic Touro will probably send out two or more rounds of acceptances. I'm on the waitlist at two other schools and there accepting students and only 75-80% of their seats are full and they started sending out acceptances in December 1st. Multiple applicants put deposits down at multiple schools which means that there will be MULTIPLE people rejected their seats at the end of the day. And if you read pass threads on here couple of people are either turning down their seats or hold more than one acceptance. And no one send Touro is desperate for applicants, end of the day their a fully accredited dental school that thousands of people will love to attend.

Once I was seven years old and my momma told me to apply to dental schools. Now I'm 60 years old and still nothing but my memories

Reactions: 3 users
orientation is supposed to be 7/5. Anyone know when the classes start?

Apparently Touro is having a fundraising gala over the summer to celebrate this opening.

I may or may not be there. :borg:

No I don't think so. Anybody know when the first round of acceptance are supposed to make their deposits.
based on my memory of posts from early this week the term n condition due on tuesday and the deposit due on next monday.

I'm gonna drop my seat tomorrow, to my surprise it was a tough decision

Anyone keep the curriculum paper that they gave us at the interview ?