Touro- NY vs. LECOM Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med10333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have an acceptance at LECOM bradenton and have an interview with Touro NY next month. I loved LECOM bradenton, but I wold like to stay closer to home on the east coast so I'm really curious about Touro NY.

1) I know its a new school. This makes me feel very uncomfortable for obvious reasons (passing the boards, rotations, residency placement). But they are supposedly affiliated with New York Medical College, a well established MD school. Does this help at all for residency placement or at least securing rotations?

2) Touro seems like a "for profit" kind of school with all their different campuses and degrees. Is it like a franchise for degrees? I could be totally off and ignorant about this, but that's the feeling I'm getting form my research on this.

3) Does being in the city help with rotations? Do people do rotations in the city, or go elsewhere in the country?

4) In your general opinion, how does it compare to LECOM-bradenton? in terms of legitimacy, board scores, residency placement, rotations. I feel like LECOM bradenton is better, but if Touro NY is also good, I would prefer to be in NYC.

Members don't see this ad.

Comlex pass rate :Lecom-B (100%)> Touro NY(80%).
Costs : Lecom-B > Touro
Clinical Rotations : Lecom will literally let you rotate anywhere. So if you want you'll be back in NY in 2 years.
Unless you dislike Florida and don't like PBL then Lecom is by far the better.

Last edited:
1.) They are not affiliated whatsoever with NYMC. Touro is in the process of buying NYMC but the two are entirely separate entities.

2.) Touro is not for profit. They are a non-profit educational institution. However, even non-profits need to make money. And as such Touro is certainly more run like a business than a university. Their academic credentials in other fields aren't that great, and opening up a bunch of small branch campuses all over the country to me sounds more like a diploma mill, to be blunt.

3.) It might, if you get to rotate in good locations in the city. However, didn't Touro-NY get outbid by SGU or Ross for their rotation sites in the city, and now their first 3rd year class is scrambling all over to find places to rotate? Or is that just another SDN rumor?

4.) LECOM has a great curriculum (I think PBL is pretty sweet) excellent pass rates (actual board scores aren't readily available), and whether or not you feel their residency placements are strong is a subjective opinion, as placement can be more of a factor of where people wanted to be and what field they wanted to go into. LECOM has alright rotations but you'll have to travel a lot for them.

LECOM >> Touro

Members don't see this ad :)
1.) They are not affiliated whatsoever with NYMC. Touro is in the process of buying NYMC but the two are entirely separate entities.

2.) Touro is not for profit. They are a non-profit educational institution. However, even non-profits need to make money. And as such Touro is certainly more run like a business than a university. Their academic credentials in other fields aren't that great, and opening up a bunch of small branch campuses all over the country to me sounds more like a diploma mill, to be blunt.

3.) It might, if you get to rotate in good locations in the city. However, didn't Touro-NY get outbid by SGU or Ross for their rotation sites in the city, and now their first 3rd year class is scrambling all over to find places to rotate? Or is that just another SDN rumor?

4.) LECOM has a great curriculum (I think PBL is pretty sweet) excellent pass rates (actual board scores aren't readily available), and whether or not you feel their residency placements are strong is a subjective opinion, as placement can be more of a factor of where people wanted to be and what field they wanted to go into. LECOM has alright rotations but you'll have to travel a lot for them.

LECOM >> Touro

that's true. they told us that at the interview.