Touro-NY vs. MCPHS-Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFlowerGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both schools and need to make a decision in two weeks about attending one of them. I was wondering if a current/former student can give the pros/cons of attending either of the schools? It will help me make a decision. From reading past threads, it seems like MCPHS attrition rate is pretty high, that with their 2016 naplex score of 64% is pretty downing. But, it is a 3-year program vs. the 4 years at Touro. There isn't much I could find about Touro, besides the school been on probation many times in the past? The tuition at touro is more due to the length of the program but I guess it will be somewhat manageable with more time on hand..as oppose to the accelerated track in MCPHS. I live in NY, but do not mind moving.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are weakly ranked schools. However, being instate and still having to pay a whopping ~40k a year for touro is over kill...it's way too expensive! The other school MCPHS has weak standards as well but it does have the 3 year accelerated track which is great. Then again, can you handle it? Youll most definitely be 160k at least in debt if you choose touros program. I can't even imagine the out of staters....(you'd have to be brain dead...), and already in a city that's overly saturated too. This is a tough one. Weigh your pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am in NY, but I applied to out of state school cause we wanted to move plus schools are much cheaper than Touro. One of the reasons I never want to go there is the bad neighborhood where the school is. If you want a cheaper and safer place to live, it's gonna take a lot of time to travel to school everyday day. Not to mention how expensive living in NY in general

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying @impatientcollegestudent & @Marina22

Yeah, it's a pretty confusing situation to be in. I might stay home if I goto Touro but the commute will be anywhere from 30mins-1hr, depending on traffic, but this will be the best way to save some money. Also, plan on working atleast once a week as a tech or volunteer (these will not be possible if I attend MCPHS).

Touro's tuition total (4years): 38,580.00 * 4 = 154, 320 + 20K (for additional fees, books, supplies, etc,)= 174,320
MCPHS
Tuition total (3 years): 44,300 * 3 = 132, 900 + 30K (housing-can be more) + 15K (or so for other fees/books/etc)= 177,900 (so similar to Touro)

My other option was lecom, but instead of giving me an interview they suggested I do their postbacc, so that will equal 4 years at the end anyways.

LECOM Tuition Total (3 years): 56,492+55,387+50,783= 162,662 + 33K (for post bacc)= 195,662

Ah, this sucks! :uhno:

Thanks for replying @impatientcollegestudent & @Marina22

Yeah, it's a pretty confusing situation to be in. I might stay home if I goto Touro but the commute will be anywhere from 30mins-1hr, depending on traffic, but this will be the best way to save some money. Also, plan on working atleast once a week as a tech or volunteer (these will not be possible if I attend MCPHS).

Touro's tuition total (4years): 38,580.00 * 4 = 154, 320 + 20K (for additional fees, books, supplies, etc,)= 174,320
MCPHS
Tuition total (3 years): 44,300 * 3 = 132, 900 + 30K (housing-can be more) + 15K (or so for other fees/books/etc)= 177,900 (so similar to Touro)

My other option was lecom, but instead of giving me an interview they suggested I do their postbacc, so that will equal 4 years at the end anyways.

LECOM Tuition Total (3 years): 56,492+55,387+50,783= 162,662 + 33K (for post bacc)= 195,662

Ah, this sucks! :uhno:

I know two people at touro who both had to quit their job first semester to second semester in to even stay afloat academically. Apparently they really go hard on the students the first year and people have been known to drop out. One of my friends have known three who have dropped out last year for the first semester... that's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

But it's normal to expect not to work at the beginning. I had to quit working my last the 4th year of undergraduate cause with upper schience classes it was hard to manage time.

Yeah its normal not to work. But, due to the saturation in this field, working/connections is more important than getting that 4.0 to secure a job after graduation. Even if its for a day, I'm gona do my best to work, somewhere. Good luck to you both!

Yeah its normal not to work. But, due to the saturation in this field, working/connections is more important than getting that 4.0 to secure a job after graduation. Even if its for a day, I'm gona do my best to work, somewhere. Good luck to you both!

Be realistic. Your grades your first 2 years are more important than working.