TouroCOM - Montana?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

officially_apostate

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone else get the ChooseDO email about Touro COM in Montana? The link below says they want to enroll/start their first class for 2023. I looked under AACOMAS to see if I could add the program but it's not there. I was going to email admissions to see how I could apply. Or does it mean that apps are opening for fall 2023 to start in 2024?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Its under the TouroCOM school in AACOMAS. Then in the questions section it says what campus you want to apply to, with Montana being an option. That said, you can only apply to one TouroCOM campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its under the TouroCOM school in AACOMAS. Then in the questions section it says what campus you want to apply to, with Montana being an option. That said, you can only apply to one TouroCOM campus.
I don’t think that’s true. My friend applied to Harlem and Middletown.

I don’t think that’s true. My friend applied to Harlem and Middletown.
in the primary you apply to NY, then in the secondary you select your preferances for the 2 NY or Great Falls. CA and NV have separate apps.

Reactions: 1 users
in the primary you apply to NY, then in the secondary you select your preferances for the 2 NY or Great Falls. CA and NV have separate apps.
This worked for me. Touro Com NY,NY... then under questions I was able to choose campus preference as Montana Campus!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else get an II here or know if there is a school specific thread for this school? I got an II last week

Anyone else get an II here or know if there is a school specific thread for this school? I got an II last week
I just applied on 10/27 so I don't think I'll get an II soon, if I do. I don't think there's a school specific thread for Montana yet.

Does anyone know if they have the same 3.0 minimum requirements as other Touro schools? I've got a 3.22c and 2.83s 😅

To update this thread, I ended up getting an II here just now for great falls. OOS and I submitted on 10/06 with confirmation on 11/1. Does this campus of Touro have its own thread like the others do?

Does anyone know if they have the same 3.0 minimum requirements as other Touro schools? I've got a 3.22c and 2.83s 😅
I didn't see specifically for this school, but I would assume if all other campuses have that minimum then the Montana one would as well.

To update this thread, I ended up getting an II here just now for great falls. OOS and I submitted on 10/06 with confirmation on 11/1. Does this campus of Touro have its own thread like the others do?
I don't think there is a thread specific to the Montana campus. I think that would be helpful if there was!

I didn't see specifically for this school, but I would assume if all other campuses have that minimum then the Montana one would as well.

I don't think there is a thread specific to the Montana campus. I think that would be helpful if there was!
After looking through all the DO 22-23 threads, I didn't find one. I agree, it would be helpful. Its like TouroCOM opened this campus in secrecy haha

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking through all the DO 22-23 threads, I didn't find one. I agree, it would be helpful. Its like TouroCOM opened this campus in secrecy haha
I didn't know about it until I got the ChooseDO email about their campus on 10/26 so I literally applied the next day haha

So I received an II for the Montana campus. Does anyone know if that means they are no longer considering me for the New York campuses if I put no preference on the secondary?

So I received an II for the Montana campus. Does anyone know if that means they are no longer considering me for the New York campuses if I put no preference on the secondary?
Yes based off what another student asked

So just to kind of update this thread. I did end up going to my TouroCOM Montana interview and was quite impressed by the offerings there. The partnership with the McLaughlin Research Institute in Great Falls I think is a wonderful opportunity if you want to do research during your time in med school. Plus it does come with some tuition aid if you're accepted to their Medical Scientist Training Program. I didn't know much about Montana going into the interview, and by the end I felt like this could be a top choice for me as someone who enjoys research.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, they are very quick with decisions. Just got my first A of the cycle. :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
So just to kind of update this thread. I did end up going to my TouroCOM Montana interview and was quite impressed by the offerings there. The partnership with the McLaughlin Research Institute in Great Falls I think is a wonderful opportunity if you want to do research during your time in med school. Plus it does come with some tuition aid if you're accepted to their Medical Scientist Training Program. I didn't know much about Montana going into the interview, and by the end I felt like this could be a top choice for me as someone who enjoys research.
Did they talk about the MSTP training program application process is like? Do they charge additional tuition?

Did they talk about the MSTP training program application process is like? Do they charge additional tuition?
Yes they did! So basically before you start your first semester (or block I guess) you apply to it so it’s all approved and such so you can start right away. You actually get a 2 year tuition allocation and a 1 year research stipend if accepted.

Yes they did! So basically before you start your first semester (or block I guess) you apply to it so it’s all approved and such so you can start right away. You actually get a 2 year tuition allocation and a 1 year research stipend if accepted.
Oh wow! Thats amazing! I assume it takes more than 4 years to complete your degree though right? Does it come with a masters?

Oh wow! Thats amazing! I assume it takes more than 4 years to complete your degree though right? Does it come with a masters?
From my understanding it doesn’t but you do sacrifice some of your breaks for dedicated research work. I don’t believe it comes with a masters.

The MSTP program deal is terrible... most schools make med school free and give PhD stipend and they give a 50% coupon on tuition.

The MSTP program deal is terrible... most schools make med school free and give PhD stipend and they give a 50% coupon on tuition.
I haven’t seen that but I don’t want a full PhD. MD/DO PhD programs are great though I’ve heard. Little bit more competitive then I probably have the stats for but I’m glad that’s what you got offered. Congrats! I think this program is nice if you still like research and yet aren’t looking for a full dual degree program. That might be a niche audience but it’ll have its draws for some nonetheless.

congrats friend! is it private loans?
No they’ll take federal loans. They had a whole section of interview day oddly enough discussing the different loan types provided by the federal gov. Like discussing what’s the difference between subsidized, unsubsidized, etc.

No they’ll take federal loans. They had a whole section of interview day oddly enough discussing the different loan types provided by the federal gov. Like discussing what’s the difference between subsidized, unsubsidized, etc.
thats dope! congrats again!

I haven’t seen that but I don’t want a full PhD. MD/DO PhD programs are great though I’ve heard. Little bit more competitive then I probably have the stats for but I’m glad that’s what you got offered. Congrats! I think this program is nice if you still like research and yet aren’t looking for a full dual degree program. That might be a niche audience but it’ll have its draws for some nonetheless.
I didn't get offered it's what they said. Personally I get the feeling they are trying to fill the research spots for those who want masters or phd before giving it to normal students. Nevertheless, having research in Montana is nice lol. I don't like that they mostly focus on neurology tho.

I didn't get offered it's what they said. Personally I get the feeling they are trying to fill the research spots for those who want masters or phd before giving it to normal students. Nevertheless, having research in Montana is nice lol. I don't like that they mostly focus on neurology tho.
It’s possible! There’s no other medical schools in the area but MRI (I did some digging on the place) has a lot that they do. I don’t know if this branch of Touro will have other dual degree programs like they do in Harlem/Middleton unless you mean PhD/Masters at other schools. I will say that the institute has been pushing for a medical school in the area for a long time and that the faculty at MRI are also faculty at Touro. I was actually interviewed by said faculty. So I’m thinking it will build a more personal relationship. But you’re right, it’s very much neurology based. For me, I have a personal interest because of my mother’s MS. For others, it may not be the best fit if you want research in other areas.

any other info you could share from your interview? making a pro's and con's list and I can't find too much info about this campus online. Specifically: is it traditional lecture or PBL? Mandatory attendance or recorded lectures? Dress code? Affiliation with Benefis Health System to do all rotations there or need to move for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? Or move to NY to those clinical rotations sites? seems far for Montana, NV or CA would be closer but seems like the Montana campus is more affiliated with the NY campuses. Pass/fail or graded? Does the city of Great Falls seem welcoming to a medical school or will it be a tough integration to have students in their community? Competition with ICOM or WWAMI students? Thanks!

any other info you could share from your interview? making a pro's and con's list and I can't find too much info about this campus online. Specifically: is it traditional lecture or PBL? Mandatory attendance or recorded lectures? Dress code? Affiliation with Benefis Health System to do all rotations there or need to move for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? Or move to NY to those clinical rotations sites? seems far for Montana, NV or CA would be closer but seems like the Montana campus is more affiliated with the NY campuses. Pass/fail or graded? Does the city of Great Falls seem welcoming to a medical school or will it be a tough integration to have students in their community? Competition with ICOM or WWAMI students? Thanks!
I presume it will have a similar curriculum to the other campuses. The question is delivery of the curriculum and how much could be recordings from NY. Go with what is on the ChooseDO site first. But these are good questions to reach out to their staff. It's too early to know about competition with ICOM or Washington/WWAMI in my opinion.