TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much time off do you get to study for the boards? Also how much time off is there between writing the boards and beginning of clinical rotations?

It all depends on when you decide to take the boards. On average for step 1 you get 4-6 weeks off. 10 if you use July as a vacation month but this may be too much time unless u are absolutely struggling (<400) on multiple practice exams. I also would not recommend taking step 1 later than july...you will not want to study for step 1 on rotations (no matter how much you tell yourself you will).

For step 2 it really depends on your schedule but you can have essentially 0-4 weeks off. 8 weeks if you plan your rotations accordingly; I would not recommended 8 weeks as this is too much time and a waste of time away from possible audition electives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much time off do you get to study for the boards? Also how much time off is there between writing the boards and beginning of clinical rotations?

Next year, we are done the 3rd week of May, and rotations start July 1st. Most people start really hardcore studying in March or so. But as far as time where we're not in school, like a month and a half. Though, there are some students too who decide to take their month off as July so they have more time to study, and then take it in July. There are even people who just study for it amidst their rotations and take it at a later date as well. This is all I know based on what I've heard the 2nd years (and my bf talking about his school) have said they're doing.

Also- it's finals week, so if people don't respond, thats why :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is the best/most helpful person I should ask for when I call the admissions office? I have some questions that I would like to ask on phone.

I'm still waitlisted here, since Janurary. :( I have been emailing periodically, sent in 2 extra recommendation letters, and just asked Mr. Sow when I can expect to hear back, and he said "I would say before the fall term begins."

Do you guys think it would benefit if I took a flight out to NY (I'm from Cali) and talked to them directly in the office? This is the only school I have and really don't want to go through the application cycle all over again.

my seat is taken away because they didn't receive my 2nd deposit and I realized that too late. anyone has similar experience? It is like the end of the world to me. I dont know what to do anymore.

my seat is taken away because they didn't receive my 2nd deposit and I realized that too late. anyone has similar experience? It is like the end of the world to me. I dont know what to do anymore.

oh no! did you try calling them?

I called them in a panic a week or so ago because I just realized that they hadn't charged my credit card for the deposit yet. I had to go through the bursar who told me she hadn't received the deposit form but she told me to ask Issa since we were supposed to mail it over to him. After I got a hold of him he told me that they did have it but he forgot to forward it over to the bursar so maybe give it a try?

best of luck!!

So, you sent it on time but they lost it? Or did you just forget to send it? Because they are two different stories...

I read it as he forgot to send it in. If it was the school's fault for misplacing it, he wouldn't be so blas&#233; about it, giving up so easily.

So, you sent it on time but they lost it? Or did you just forget to send it? Because they are two different stories...

I sent them in late but UPS tracking says it's delivered, but they never got it and I didn't know until 2 days ago. :(

I sent them in late but UPS tracking says it's delivered, but they never got it and I didn't know until 2 days ago. :(

what sucks more is you have to deal with the horribly organised administration. :smuggrin:

it is still not too late..hey you never know, a spot might be still there for you.

If your initial MCAT score doesn't meet the cutoff but you indicate that you will be retaking, would they reject you or wait for your updated score before potentially giving you the secondary?

Alas, I'm withdrawing. Hope someone on the waitlist gets the spot! :)

Has anyone even been pulled off the waitlist here? Last year there was so much movement and buzz on this topic and not a peep this cycle. I'm attending elsewhere as well since I never heard anything else back once put on the waitlist.

Can someone give me the admissions contact email please?

So I'm pretty confused right now... I turned in my secondary in October but like the idiot I am, forgot to attach the essay. The admin emailed me a couple weeks later (after I had already been accepted to another school) telling me thati forgot my essay. Since i got in to a higher choice school i decided not to even turn the essay in (bye bye $200).Fast forward today and I get an ii! Anyone get an ii who forgot to turn their secondary in?

Any helpful hints for the interview? Mine is next week and i'm a little nervous

Does Touro-COM accept students in the spring? I am just researching D.O.schools and this school accepts
international students so I hope to apply here.

Current 1st year, here.

Our first month is somewhat different than the rest of the year(a lot more intense, then it slows down when September hits, but here is basically a breakdown of the first year:

1st Semester

Monday
Test day(and this can be anywhere between 1 and 3 tests)

Tuesday
8-10- Anatomy Lecture
10-12- Anatomy Lab/Supplemental Lecture(class is divided in 2, one goes to the lab, one has a supplemental lecture like Radiology)
1-2- Biochemistry
2-3- Histology
3-5- Physiology

Wednesday
Same as Tues from 8-2
2-4- Histology
4-5- Physiology

Thurs
8-9- Preventative Medicine and Public Health
9-10- OMM Lecture
10-12- Anatomy Lab/Histo Lab/OMM Lab(class split into 3)
1-3- Anatomy Lab/Histo Lab/OMM Lab
3-5- Anatomy Lab/Histo Lab/OMM Lab

Friday
8-11- Anatomy Lecture(usually 2 hours of this block is Embryology Lecture)
11-12- Biochemistry

PMPH only lasts a month or two. Physical Diagnosis comes in right after PMPH ends(first week of October) and lasts the rest of the semester.

I'm not going to put down the 2nd semester because this post is getting long, but there have been a couple of structural changes to the curriculum that make this year different from prior years. They have started utilizing iTunes U to post lectures that we are required to watch before we come to class(at least, if we want to keep up). We receive these downloadable lectures in Physiology, Biochemistry, Embryology, and OMM, and they can range from 15 min to 90 min. Keeping up is not easy, and suffice to say OMM is probably the least-watched lecture. It's a massive course load and we're always playing catch-up, but the Dean of Pre-Clinical Medicine(who designs our curriculum) has drastically improved board scores since his arrival 3 years ago. I'm rambling. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

See some of you in the Class of 2016 thread...
Is it true that you have the choice between early classes and later classes or did I hear that at another school?