TOUROCOM-NY vs. UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J515

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So NY is much more appealing to me than Biddeford, Maine (I've always wanted to live in NY, at least for a little while...), but I definitely enjoy the UNECOM campus and general feel more than TOURO. Also, all of the unknowns associated with TOURO being a new school make me a bit hesitant. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

So NY is much more appealing to me than Biddeford, Maine (I've always wanted to live in NY, at least for a little while...), but I definitely enjoy the UNECOM campus and general feel more than TOURO. Also, all of the unknowns associated with TOURO being a new school make me a bit hesitant. Opinions?

Here's a helpful thread, in case you haven't seen it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

Let me pass on a bit of advice that I once heard--A very important consideration you need to make abt medical school is where does the school have rotations! The biggest concern recently with Touro NY has been the issue of rotations, or lack of them -- in part because St. George paid a hefty amt of money to secure rotation spots for their students throughout NYC hospitals. IMO this really sucks, and has taken rotation spots away from students attending U.S. med schools. Really the whole story reeks of nepotism and payoffs on the part of St. George, and those NYC hospital (if you want to read more abt this, last months DO magazine had a letter from the AOA president addressing this issue) and here is the NY Times link abt the story-- http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/nyregion/05grenada.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all. UNECOM on the other hand, I believe, has more established rotations throughout Maine (UNECOMers can clarify this if Im wrong). Believe me, while you may not be thinking abt this now, it will be an issue in a quick, short 2 years. Good luck!