TPR Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatsense

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading The Princeton Review biology book for review and I'm not scoring too well on the questions. I'll miss close to half of the free response and the passage makes absolutely no sense in regards to the material I had just finished reading. I just started on chapter 7 -Nervous and Endocrine System- if anyone else has the book. Am I studying the wrong way?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to read "more critically" while you're reading through the chapters. For me at least, sometimes when I read I sort of "zone out" and don't remember what the paragraph I just read was even about. You may want to try taking notes, even if they're super brief. I would also maybe not start out on that chapter, because I'd say that's probably the hardest chapter in the TPR bio book. So it's not really surprising to be struggling on that chapter!

Also when you are reviewing the questions you got correct/incorrect, pay careful attention to WHY you chose the incorrect answer. For example, was it because of some content that you forgot? Did you analyze a graph incorrectly? Were you confused by the passage? Doing this will make it more clear what went wrong and what you should focus on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to read "more critically" while you're reading through the chapters. For me at least, sometimes when I read I sort of "zone out" and don't remember what the paragraph I just read was even about. You may want to try taking notes, even if they're super brief. I would also maybe not start out on that chapter, because I'd say that's probably the hardest chapter in the TPR bio book. So it's not really surprising to be struggling on that chapter!

Also when you are reviewing the questions you got correct/incorrect, pay careful attention to WHY you chose the incorrect answer. For example, was it because of some content that you forgot? Did you analyze a graph incorrectly? Were you confused by the passage? Doing this will make it more clear what went wrong and what you should focus on.

That makes a lot of sense. I started with chapter 7 because TPR Psychology chapter 1 and TPR Biology chapter 7 are almost identical. How many times do you read through the same chapter to get a good grasp at the material?

That won't work. The chapters should be a lot of review, not new content.

Suggestions:

1) note cards for any terms that you cannot turn around and explain to someone
2) note cards for all equations given, then explain that to someone (or even to yourself)
3) use the @orgogogo idea on writing on a piece of paper, all topics you got wrong and why; then revisit and make note cards
4) for any new content, the books + Khan academy and DRAW. :)

That won't work. The chapters should be a lot of review, not new content.

Suggestions:

1) note cards for any terms that you cannot turn around and explain to someone
2) note cards for all equations given, then explain that to someone (or even to yourself)
3) use the @orgogogo idea on writing on a piece of paper, all topics you got wrong and why; then revisit and make note cards
4) for any new content, the books + Khan academy and DRAW. :)

Would khan academy be a good source to learn the material if I supplemented it with my review book?