TPR Online Diagnostics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maadaputtar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just finished the verbal section of the TPR Diagnostic test #2, and I got a 6, where I didn't even get to the last passage (got all the questions wrong in that one). I took the first diagnostic a few days back and diagnostic #8 day before and I had the same score, and I again didn't finish the test. Did someone have the same problems? I am finding the passages really hard and LOONNGG. According to AAMC, the verbal passages are about 600 words. I counted the words in a few of TPR passages and they are all 750+ words. Maybe that's why I am not finishing. It would be nice to hear others' opinion on this.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
c'mon guys, don't be shy. I am guessing by the number of replies that no on is having similar problems. Hmm, I'll try to figure this out myself!

I thought TPR verbal was very difficult and others on SDN have posted about the difficulty of those passages. That seems to be the general consensus. So, don't feel bad about those TPR verbal passages.

I would just advise to use TPR as learning tools and focus on AAMC practice exams to gauge what you might be scoring on the real deal for verbal. The aamc verbal exams are so different from TPR verbal exams anyway. You will most likely see a score increase for verbal when you do those aamc exams.

Verbal on #2 was especially brutal. Got a 7 on it. But I got a 10 on #3. So go ahead and try #3. Also, try AAMC. They are so different from TPR.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for the comforting words...i'll give diag#3 a shot and hopefully that'll boost my confidence!

Verbal on #2 was especially brutal. Got a 7 on it. But I got a 10 on #3. So go ahead and try #3. Also, try AAMC. They are so different from TPR.

Hey, are you able to finish your verbal section with ample time left over. I have not been able to finish any TPR verbal test till now. Always end up guessing on the last passage.
If you are able to finish on time, can you tell me how you keep track of your time. As in, are you consciously thinking that 'I should be done the fourth passage by so-and-so time', or you just naturally end up finishing before the time ends?
Thanks

Hey, are you able to finish your verbal section with ample time left over. I have not been able to finish any TPR verbal test till now. Always end up guessing on the last passage.
If you are able to finish on time, can you tell me how you keep track of your time. As in, are you consciously thinking that 'I should be done the fourth passage by so-and-so time', or you just naturally end up finishing before the time ends?
Thanks

I barely finish with time left. I usually have to rush towards the last two passages and I usually end up with only 5 minutes for the last passage. So you aren't the only one with time crunch issues. I usually spend too much time on the first three passages. I guess you could try reading a bit faster, no getting bogged down on a question (if you don't get it just skip it and come back to it later), and just keep plowing through. Like EK says. Try not to think about how much time is left. That could offset your concentration.

tried diag#3...got 9...not bad...made some stupidly stupid stupid mistakes...arrggghhh....although i did employ the highlighting tool this time...i dunno y i hadn't done so before...i found it to be really helpful!

TPR verbal is insanely hard. I'm averaging 9s and just finished a verbal section for another that im not too pumped to get a results for. I'm averaging 12s on AAMC, and I find the TPR verbal makes the AAMC verbal seem a welcome vacation so it is useful!

TPR verbal is insanely hard. I'm averaging 9s and just finished a verbal section for another that im not too pumped to get a results for. I'm averaging 12s on AAMC, and I find the TPR verbal makes the AAMC verbal seem a welcome vacation so it is useful!

wheew, glad I'm not the only one.

wow...12s on AAMC...do you usually finish with time left over. I don't know if it's just me, but the AAMC ones seem to be more focussed on the general idea of the passage rather than details. I find my self hardly going back to the passage (I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing). I will be writing a full-lenght AAMC today so I'll see if my intuition works better than going back to the passage to find answers.

wow...12s on AAMC...do you usually finish with time left over. I don't know if it's just me, but the AAMC ones seem to be more focussed on the general idea of the passage rather than details. I find my self hardly going back to the passage (I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing). I will be writing a full-lenght AAMC today so I'll see if my intuition works better than going back to the passage to find answers.

I usually have anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes if I really try to conserve time on the last passage, but I don't mark much, so I use the time to be extra careful about the last passage as a general rule. The AAMC does test main idea, but reading for author voice and intangibles like that is really important. I agree that often times I find that I don't have to go back and check the passage for details on the AAMC test.

wow...got an 11 in VR (AAMC #7). I don't think I have ever had a double digit score in VR. Now, only if I can duplicate this on the real deal!

i was averaging around 6 or 7 on tpr verbal with a high of 9 and a low of 4 on #8:scared:

on aamcs i started with an 11 on #3 then progressively have gotten 9, 9, 8, and now a 6 on #7 :thumbdown:

i dont know whats going on but i hope i can pull at least a 9 on the real deal on the 22nd.

but tpr are definitely harder than aamc i think

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...got an 11 in VR (AAMC #7). I don't think I have ever had a double digit score in VR. Now, only if I can duplicate this on the real deal!

Nice! Didn't you find the AAMC passages to be much friendlier, both in terms of ease of reading, and interesting subject matter? Take some more AAMC exams because they're as close as you'll get to the real deal.

i was averaging around 6 or 7 on tpr verbal with a high of 9 and a low of 4 on #8:scared:

on aamcs i started with an 11 on #3 then progressively have gotten 9, 9, 8, and now a 6 on #7 :thumbdown:

i dont know whats going on but i hope i can pull at least a 9 on the real deal on the 22nd.

but tpr are definitely harder than aamc i think

Are you psyching yourself out at all? If you're constantly thinking about your last result you're not going to be able to read with the clarity it takes to absorb the reading and answer the questions.

i think it just might be the fact that im getting mentally drained taking a test everyday and might be losing focus. i want to get all the practice in i can get before next week. ive noticed that i do better usually at the beginning of the week then go down towards the end. its kinda weird because my science are going up. i got a 14 in ps and 11 in bs (one away from both 15 in ps and 12 in bs) on the same test as the 6 in vr. i think im gonna take aamc 8 tomorrow then 9&10 on mon and tues then chill until fri to give my mind as much rest as i can. does anyone else seem to have the same problems when taking practice tests all together like that?

Nice! Didn't you find the AAMC passages to be much friendlier, both in terms of ease of reading, and interesting subject matter? Take some more AAMC exams because they're as close as you'll get to the real deal.
I did find them to a be a little easier (touch-wood). I was hard pressed for time on the last passage (had only 5 minutes to do it). How do you time yourself? How long do you take to read a passage, do you highlight or use any of the tools, and then how much time do you take on questions?
Hopefully I can continue with this kind of performance (fingers crossed).

i think it just might be the fact that im getting mentally drained taking a test everyday and might be losing focus. i want to get all the practice in i can get before next week. ive noticed that i do better usually at the beginning of the week then go down towards the end. its kinda weird because my science are going up. i got a 14 in ps and 11 in bs (one away from both 15 in ps and 12 in bs) on the same test as the 6 in vr. i think im gonna take aamc 8 tomorrow then 9&10 on mon and tues then chill until fri to give my mind as much rest as i can. does anyone else seem to have the same problems when taking practice tests all together like that?
Hey, I am writing on the 22nd as well. And I have AAMC 8, 9, and 10 left to do as well. The way I am doing it is I will be doing 8 tomorrow (Sat.), 9 (Mon.) and 10 (Wed.) and relax off on Thursday. I don't want to jinx it, but I am quite comfortable with PS, WS and BS. Not so much with VR. That's why I will be doing one or two VR tests on the days I am not writing the full-lengths (except the Thursday before). So all my confidence is going to depend on how I perform in AAMC 10 because that is the last thing I will be doing :)

I did find them to a be a little easier (touch-wood). I was hard pressed for time on the last passage (had only 5 minutes to do it). How do you time yourself? How long do you take to read a passage, do you highlight or use any of the tools, and then how much time do you take on questions?
Hopefully I can continue with this kind of performance (fingers crossed).

I don't really highlight anything, just make mental notes as I go. The passages take me ~3.5-4 mins each.

I don't really highlight anything, just make mental notes as I go. The passages take me ~3.5-4 mins each.
3-4 minutes is the time it takes you to READ the passage right, or do you mean you answer the questions within 3-4 minutes. So you are onto your second passage by 0:56:00?

dont feel bad... i got anywhere from 4-9 on the TPR diags and ended up with a 10. youll be ok

3-4 minutes is the time it takes you to READ the passage right, or do you mean you answer the questions within 3-4 minutes. So you are onto your second passage by 0:56:00?

No no that's the reading, I wish i could get through the questions that quickly! I aim for 7-8 minutes for passage + Qs.

I was getting 13+ and then I took TPR diag and got a 10. So... based on that, I would say it was hella hard... and they would make the diag hard just to make you freak out and invest in there study aids right?

Ugh.

Did you guys notice a couple of questions in PS were listed under the wrong passage?!!! WTF. I mean it's only a diagnostic, but how hard is it to list the questions under the right passage? I paid $2000 for the class, stop wasting my time.

And then I got a 7 on Verbal. Sigh.
My average on AAMCs is 10.
I think the questions just suck. And I disagree with some of the answer choices.

I am contemplating whether I should spend more time on TPR Diagnostics. With 3 weeks to go, I only have 2 more AAMCs left.

Yeah a few of my tpr questions were in the wrong places which really pissed me off that they didnt proofreed that for how much we paid for the class. As far as the verbal being super hard, I did really bad on diagnostics 1, 2, and 3, but got a 10 on diag 4. alot of the answer choices are super vague and hard to choose between two, and i asked my vr teacher about who writes these and she gave me some speech about spending tons of time and hours to make it seem the same as the actual test. I don't think doing more tpr diagnostics will help too much other than using them as practice problems, not as a guide to your score.