TPR Physics question

Started by DrAvery
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrAvery

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is probably a really stupid question but I just can't figure it out. In the Chapter 4 practice passage, question 4 asks "How much torque must the mechanical arm provide in order to prevent the passengers from swinging down?"

I thought it would be (600)(10)(5). but the answer key says (600)(10)(20). How is the radius 20??? I don't understand that part at all.

Thanks.
 
I'd love to help you but cannot do much without seeing the problem.

Wild guessing: if it's an equilibrium problem, the rotation is not going to be necessary around the fulcrum, they might have picked a more convenient point.
 
This is probably a really stupid question but I just can't figure it out. In the Chapter 4 practice passage, question 4 asks "How much torque must the mechanical arm provide in order to prevent the passengers from swinging down?"

I thought it would be (600)(10)(5). but the answer key says (600)(10)(20). How is the radius 20??? I don't understand that part at all.

Thanks.

if you give us more info, we could prob help..

not all of us have every book
 
Sorry I'll post pictures of the question so you can read it. Thanks for your help.

2vb38jn.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Strange, I actually agree with you that it should be 600 x 10 x 5. 20 is 4x5 but that would not be the correct answer even if there were 4 carriages, since they would balance each other out. I honestly don't know what they had in mind, is there any explanation in the answer or just a number?

Btw, that is one crazy ride! 😱