TPR Practice exam score = 12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took a TPR practice exam (first one) cbt, and got a 12. Should consider not taking the MCAT or what do you guys think? I am enrolled in the course right now but feel so down and frustrated please give me some advice

Members don't see this ad.

the first one is generally harder than the real stuff and is supposed to make you feel incompetent.
so time to start studying. things will pick up

Hi,

I took a TPR practice exam (first one) cbt, and got a 12. Should consider not taking the MCAT or what do you guys think? I am enrolled in the course right now but feel so down and frustrated please give me some advice

In addition to cramming science background into your head, familiarize yourself with passages/MCAT style questions, and your score will pick up

What's your break down? Does it highlight any one area you should focus more on?

I know your score will come up when you become more familar with the format of the test. In my experience, knowing how a test is structured is huge. I personally get very nervous when taking tests. My nerves affect my recall of material. Knowing the format allows me to use the material I know.

It is still early. Don't get discouraged! Get studying!
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen some of those scores in some students. It depends on how much time you want to put in, and how dedicated you are.

anything is possible.

Hi,

Have you taken (or are currently taking) all the prereqs? If you haven't, waiting until you're done with/wrapping up the prereq classes would be a good idea, since that material is essentially what the MCAT tests. If you have (and maybe forgot most of the material), then as long as you're ready to buckle down and really, really study for a few months then you certainly have a shot. It's going to suck for sure--we're talking about an 18 point jump to approach the average score of accepted applicants--but it's possible.

With any review course, just realize that improving in the end still depends on you putting a lot of time studying and doing problems on your own--attending class just isn't going to do it. With TPR, the science texts are solid and will teach you everything you need to know, in probably a little more detail than you need to know....which personally I liked because some of TPR's details was often the stuff presented as "new" material in the passages, which made passages all the less scary (they often try to psych testers out with new "harder" stuff, which in reality a) isn't harder or b) is just there to distract you from the basic stuff they're really asking for). The science workbook is golden--in the end, my studying was really just going through that beast and doing every problem (do them by multiple passages in one shot, to build up "endurance"), and doing the AAMC practice exams.

Like others have said, the MCAT isn't only about knowing the material, it's about being familiar with the exam structure, and having the endurance to plow through those long sections with a time constraint and without breaks/food/water/noise.

thanks for the advice people!! Yea, i think the problem with me is that I need to make myself more familiar with the exam. For example, how to approach science passages. It just seemed like a completely different exam to me and I think it is in some sense. thanks again!
my score was: 5 bs 3 ps 4v