TPR verbal vs AAMC???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just started using my verbal TPR workbook (hyperlearning set) and was wondering how it compares to the AAMC passages...just so I can gauge myself.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took AAMC 3 CBT and found that TPR's verbal was pretty close to that, really boring. I found the questions to be more similar to EK 101 and the passages were longer than TPR though.

JM .02

why don't you do a AAMC test and compare it urself? Well, I never did TPR verbal workbook but TPR online diags have really hard verbal passages. The readings were a little tougher than you should expect and the curve is just unfair. When I was scoring around 10s on AAMC, I got a 7 on TPR online diag for verbal. :(

why don't you do a AAMC test and compare it urself? Well, I never did TPR verbal workbook but TPR online diags have really hard verbal passages. The readings were a little tougher than you should expect and the curve is just unfair. When I was scoring around 10s on AAMC, I got a 7 on TPR online diag for verbal. :(

I'm trying to do all the material I can get my hands on first, then do the AAMC's when I'm ready and a little closer to my test date. I just wanted to get an idea on how much I need to dedicate myself to with the verbal; this weekend I'll do the free AAMC 3R and see how that goes.

Members don't see this ad :)

On a happy note, at least you will get good hard practice TPR which will make the AAMC seem like cake:D I hope!

I just took AAMC 3 CBT and found that TPR's verbal was pretty close to that, really boring. I found the questions to be more similar to EK 101 and the passages were longer than TPR though.

JM .02

I also have EK 101 which I will also do. As far as boring, I think my subscription to Newsweek is paying off...nothing these days feels too boring!:laugh:

omg you just made me so happy!!! :D

I hope TPR is harder. I may have performed "less than stellar" on my AAMC 3 test (I felt lucky to get a 9, 65% correct--I averaged about 70-75% on the TPR) because it had been a couple weeks since I even looked at a verbal passage and it was the first time I ever took a practice MCAT and I was pretty exhausted and intimidated.

&crosses fingers& If the above is the case for me, that gives me much more hope for getting a reasonable verbal!

I'm glad everyone thinks TPR verbal is harder. I find TPR verbal a lot harder since I am a retaker from 2 years ago and used AAMC and Kaplan verbal with some EK passages, I find TPR the most difficult as my score has been consistently lower. If anything, verbal should have been harder back then since it was 85 minutes at 9-10 passages.

Ahh... I really hate verbal. I decided to try to speed up my verbal today, since my only method of doing half way decent on verbal takes quite a while, and it landed me about 50% correct out of 20 questions (3 passages), 50% of those correct (5/10) on one easy passage.

I really, really, really, really, reallllllllly hate verbal.

Underlining, going slow, taking mental notes at the end of each paragraph--those are the things that get me "okay" scores, but they take too freaking long!

Ahh... I really hate verbal. I decided to try to speed up my verbal today, since my only method of doing half way decent on verbal takes quite a while, and it landed me about 50% correct out of 20 questions (3 passages), 50% of those correct (5/10) on one easy passage.

Underlining, going slow, taking mental notes at the end of each paragraph--those are the things that get me "okay" scores, but they take too freaking long!

I feel ya. I seem to miss 2-3 on every passage. When I take a timed full VR section, I find myself trying to push for speed. I know when I do score a 9 or 10, it's cause there are 2-3 passages that are fairly easy in difficulty, 3-4 medium and one hard passage. Seems like there are 0 easy, 5-6 medium, and 1-2 killer passages.

yeah! me too...i dont know what to do. im thinking of reverting back to my old methods. i was actually doing better before i started using the strategies.
UGGHHH I hate verbal!!!!! :mad:

For those who have taken AAMC CBT 3 or any other AAMC practice tests (or even real MCAT), did you try to highlight "key words" after each paragraph in verbal? What do you guys think about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I HAVE to highlight words. I usually just highlight names of persons, places, or things or really big concepts.

yeah! me too...i dont know what to do. im thinking of reverting back to my old methods. i was actually doing better before i started using the strategies.
UGGHHH I hate verbal!!!!! :mad:
The most upsetting part to me about using verbal as such a major part of the MCAT is that it has very little to do with how well a person will be able to perform in almost any given class.

I've never been a reader, ever. I never paid attention in school until I got to college, and when I got to college I was majoring in sciences and never had to read my text books to get A's, so I just didn't read--I understood the concepts for most of my science courses sufficiently enough based off of what I had heard in lecture and had applied in practice.

So, when I try to read and retain information from a verbal passage, its almost impossible for me. Given enough time, I can answer almost all of the questions right in a passage, but for me time is the huge factor--and as soon as I try to speed things up I get destroyed.

I got a 9 on AAMC 3 (my only reference at this point in my studies), but I can't help but worry there was an element of luck attached and I still fear future performances. This is in stark contrast to my performance on BS (10) and PS (12) where, after reviewing, I realized I made quite a few stupid mistakes and never had any difficulty understanding a concept on something I got wrong, and I have the utmost confidence that I'll be able to continue to improve.

Verbal really is a downer for me. If I would have had any idea verbal would be like this, I would have started prepping myself a LOOOOONG time ago.

tncekm: Was your diagnostic AAMC 3 after reviewing science concepts or before?

Either way, it is still an awesome score. Just be confident (not over-confident) and you will pull a 30+ on the real thing. Is that your goal?

The most upsetting part to me about using verbal as such a major part of the MCAT is that it has very little to do with how well a person will be able to perform in almost any given class.

I've never been a reader, ever. I never paid attention in school until I got to college, and when I got to college I was majoring in sciences and never had to read my text books to get A's, so I just didn't read--I understood the concepts for most of my science courses sufficiently enough based off of what I had heard in lecture and had applied in practice.

So, when I try to read and retain information from a verbal passage, its almost impossible for me. Given enough time, I can answer almost all of the questions right in a passage, but for me time is the huge factor--and as soon as I try to speed things up I get destroyed.

I got a 9 on AAMC 3 (my only reference at this point in my studies), but I can't help but worry there was an element of luck attached and I still fear future performances. This is in stark contrast to my performance on BS (10) and PS (12) where, after reviewing, I realized I made quite a few stupid mistakes and never had any difficulty understanding a concept on something I got wrong, and I have the utmost confidence that I'll be able to continue to improve.

Verbal really is a downer for me. If I would have had any idea verbal would be like this, I would have started prepping myself a LOOOOONG time ago.
That's soo creepy. I have the exact same problems/feelings about verbal!!! Most people say verbal suddenly clicks one day, and I'm just waiting for that day.

The only thing about verbal is those insane killer passages. Remember that Greek passage in AAMC CBT3? After reading that passage, I was like "What the heck is this talking about again?" :D

tncekm: Was your diagnostic AAMC 3 after reviewing science concepts or before?

Either way, it is still an awesome score. Just be confident (not over-confident) and you will pull a 30+ on the real thing. Is that your goal?
I reviewed the science concepts for about 1.5 months. But, I was essentially re-learning G. Chem and much of G. Bio because I took those classes a very long time ago, and in all honesty, I don't even know how I pulled good grades because I wasn't reading or doing my homework.

My goal is not just 30+, its 50! :lol: I really would love to stay in CA, so I want a good score (Uni GPA ~ 3.9, Overall: 3.74). I'm positive I can do extremely well in PS, confident I can perform better than I did in AAMC 3 on BS, its just verbal that's really got me worried.

Thanks for the support though!

The only thing about verbal is those insane killer passages. Remember that Greek passage in AAMC CBT3? After reading that passage, I was like "What the heck is this talking about again?" :D
No kidding. That passage was hideous, IMHO.

I reviewed the science concepts for about 1.5 months. But, I was essentially re-learning G. Chem and much of G. Bio because I took those classes a very long time ago, and in all honesty, I don't even know how I pulled good grades because I wasn't reading or doing my homework.

My goal is not just 30+, its 50! :lol: I really wouldn't love to stay in CA, so I want a good score (Uni GPA ~ 3.9, Overall: 3.74). I'm positive I can do extremely well in PS, confident I can perform better than I did in AAMC 3 on BS, its just verbal that's really got me worried.

Thanks for the support though!

Obviously, you'd wanna shoot higher than a 30. But, I mean at what score would you not re-take the MCAT? If you pulled off 9 VR on AAMC CBT3, then you should not worry that much. Someone on here went from 6 VR (on real thing) to 12 VR (on re-take). It can be done. I think the most important thing on VR is reading with interest (I know this is hard!) and really thinking about authors overall main idea. That should atleast get you 8-9.

I'll apply to medical school this year as long as my MCAT is around 30 or so. But, I will definitely schedule a retake if I don't get over 32.

I am doing better on the TPR VR than the EK VR.

Would the EK VR be the hardest?

I totally think it depends on the person. EK and TPR are different, IMHO, so it just depends on you.

I did better on the first several TPR passages than I did on the first several EK passages, then it seems to have reversed for the most part.

I totally think it depends on the person. EK and TPR are different, IMHO, so it just depends on you.

I did better on the first several TPR passages than I did on the first several EK passages, then it seems to have reversed for the most part.

Practice is practice. It doesn't matter whether you use EK or TPR. That being said, I think one should definitely go through EK 101. It's good practice. I have not familiar with TPR so I can't comment on that.

Neither TPR or EK verbal is like the real thing..... only the AAMC practice tests are like the real thing.

But EK is a bit closer, so I would do those, if any. TPR is not even close in my opinion.

I'll be taking an AAMC this w/e and tomorrow I'll do an EK as well. See how it compares and how I do. Latelly I've been paying a bit more attention to the q's and answer stems, and just weed out the ones I know are wrong, usually leaving me with 2. Then I'll either refer to the passage or make a (hopefully) educated guess. It's been working; although I have yet to take a timed test. I don't see it a problem since I'm usually not a slow reader. I've just been trying to figure out my "Ahah" moment!

Neither TPR or EK verbal is like the real thing..... only the AAMC practice tests are like the real thing.

But EK is a bit closer, so I would do those, if any. TPR is not even close in my opinion.

I also did a bunch of passages from the Columbia Review and thought they were easy and not like the AAMC or the EK passages. The AAMC has a specific format on the passages they put out,and the questions are also done in a way to measure all of those topics from their AAMC Verbal section. So even if we do any passages we get our hands on, its great practice for reading, but as far as that "click" we are looking for I think only by doing the AAMC's.
I'm just trying to see how close does EK and TPR come to the AAMC format, so I don't use up the AAMC passages this early in my MCAT journey:rolleyes:.

Having worked for TPR, I felt that EK was a much better representation. The best however, is AAMC. :. AAMC>EK>TPR :)

I took Practice Test 1 in the TPR Verbal Workbook. I missed 14 so 26/40 and I'm guessing that translates into 6-8. Anybody have any idea what it might be? Obviously, either way, I'm not happy with my score with the real thing 5 wks away.

I found passage II and III extremely difficult seeing as how I missed 10 of my 14 on those two passages alone. Anyone else take this and share my sentiments? I have no idea how to do better on passages that I probably couldn't do even with an extra 20 minutes.

HELP PLZ!

I took Practice Test 1 in the TPR Verbal Workbook. I missed 14 so 26/40 and I'm guessing that translates into 6-8. Anybody have any idea what it might be? Obviously, either way, I'm not happy with my score with the real thing 5 wks away.

I found passage II and III extremely difficult seeing as how I missed 10 of my 14 on those two passages alone. Anyone else take this and share my sentiments? I have no idea how to do better on passages that I probably couldn't do even with an extra 20 minutes.

HELP PLZ!

I found myself getting better with time and practice. If you feel you can't raise your score then keep on practicing until you do, then take the test. That's what I'm doing anyway; I'm not registering for the test until I see I am close to my score goal. I'm hoping to take in June, but if I'm not ready then I'll postpone it. It took me long enough to get where I am today, the test can wait a couple more months:D
As far as what score it translates into, I have no clue myself, I got the hyperlearning set from someone who took the class, and did not come with a schedule or a conversion table as EK does. What I do is just get a % of my score and set my standards, anything bellow 70% is bad, and as long as I see my % going up, I know I'm doing better. I guess once I start taking the AAMC I'll see how I'm really doing!

I found myself getting better with time and practice. If you feel you can't raise your score then keep on practicing until you do, then take the test. That's what I'm doing anyway; I'm not registering for the test until I see I am close to my score goal. I'm hoping to take in June, but if I'm not ready then I'll postpone it. It took me long enough to get where I am today, the test can wait a couple more months:D
As far as what score it translates into, I have no clue myself, I got the hyperlearning set from someone who took the class, and did not come with a schedule or a conversion table as EK does. What I do is just get a % of my score and set my standards, anything bellow 70% is bad, and as long as I see my % going up, I know I'm doing better. I guess once I start taking the AAMC I'll see how I'm really doing!

Yeah, the only improvement I saw is that I had like 2 minutes leftover and wasn't frantically finishing the last paragraph. I actually read the material a bit slower so I could focus more on comprehension and not just trying to read it super fast. I wish I could do both.

I don't think I have the luxury to wait because I signed up for the April administration and I checked to see if any openings are available on other dates and there are none available in May. I think I want to take it before June. I'm already driving out 1hr+ to take my test. I hear test centers are pretty small.

yeah I took the tpr verbal test 1 and had the same score as you did. Missing most of my points on the second passage. 26/40 translates to an 8. I find EK 101 to be a little more straightforward than tpr. You'll find that you may score 2 points higher in EK. FYI, most people agree tha EK verbal is more representative than tpr verbal.

Did some VR practice today and I'm feeling a tad better. I took two little self-made mini-exams from EK101 series.

-Set alarm to go off in 25 mins -- finished both times over 26 mins
- #1 3 passages, 18 questions (5/6, 2/6*, 4/6 = 61%, 26:30 mins)
- #2 3 passages, 21 questions (7/7, 5/7, 5/7 = 81% 26:00 mins)
- Overall 72%, 52 mins, 39qs, 6 passages. That would give me a solid 9, and this time I felt very comfortable with the material. So, if this keeps up and I can maybe pull a 10 or so on the real thing, I'd be stoked.

Yeah, I took the 3R verbal and it was my lowest score of the 3 sections. I didn't go over it yet but I don't know if anxiety is affecting my verbal. I used to be confident I would get a 9-10 without any doubt.

To the guy who took TPR practice test #1 in the verbal work book, do you agree with the answer for #40? I don't see how that answer is right.

Sucks, got 26/40 on 3R, 25/40 on Practice Test 2 in Verbal Workbook. Practice Test 1 was a 26/40 so I'm averaging an 8 on verbal right now. I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong.

I thought my score would have improved because I am not rushing for time and on most answers, I am pretty confident in. Well, I guess there are a lot where I boil down to two answers and choose the wrong answer unfortunately. Maybe in 4 weeks I'll be fortunate enough to get the better side of the 50%.

I am by no means a greater writer, but I hate how the author of Passage II of Practice Test 2 writes.

Also, another random thought, do you guys seem to spend about half your time doing the first three passages and then the last half doing the last four passages? I feel like I have been consistently doing that the last 4-5 verbal tests I have taken.

Just looked at my "progress" on TPR online verbal scores. Made me feel a little better. There is definitely an uptrend :D Average for the first 7 passages was about 57% and about 75% for the second half. If I could get 75%+ consistently, I'd be ecstatic. I'm also finishing these passages faster than I used to. I used to do these "untimed", so I really think I'm making progress! I'm also noticing I tend to fall for the "extreme" answers. I think VR is "doable"...

Attachments

• uptrend_sm.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 97
:lol:

I think I just found out why AAMC 1 was removed from practice materials offered by the AAMC. I just read over an EK Verbal lesson which consisted of finding the correct answers by evaluating the questions and answer stems alone, and the answers were SO obvious that you absolutely didn't need the passage. I got 7/7, easily, and confidently. This coming from me as "Mr. 65%" on the VR section, ha, ha.

Okay, I just thought that was interesting so I figured I'd post it... :D

Just looked at my "progress" on TPR online verbal scores. Made me feel a little better. There is definitely an uptrend :D Average for the first 7 passages was about 57% and about 75% for the second half. If I could get 75%+ consistently, I'd be ecstatic. I'm also finishing these passages faster than I used to. I used to do these "untimed", so I really think I'm making progress! I'm also noticing I tend to fall for the "extreme" answers. I think VR is "doable"...
Wow... I decided to average my verbal scores from both EK and TPR, and over 35 passages I've averaged ~8 (65%). EK scores went down, TPR went up, the net result was no real movement. That's frustrating.

Wow... I decided to average my verbal scores from both EK and TPR, and over 35 passages I've averaged ~8 (65%). EK scores went down, TPR went up, the net result was no real movement. That's frustrating.

Totally understand. I'm at an 8 or 9 and have done more passages. I got a 9 on my diag too so no improvement. I did get one 10 on a FL, but my PS dropped like crazy and I got a 7 on it. But by far, VR is becoming my worst section :(

how about berkeley review verbal??

I havent done AAMC verbal but TPR verbal is so freakin hard...I've been getting like 7s on TPR verbal and 9-10 on berkeley review verbal

Everybody says BR verbal is not good.

I personally found EK and TPR to be close to on par with my experience of AAMC 3 CBT, but it seems that EK tends to hang out on the more "understand the passage" area, and TPR is more "refer back to the passage", while I think AAMC is more of a mix. But, the level of difficulty is relatively similar, IMHO.

random interjection: ek 101 is good prac, i guess, compared to what's out there, but some of their explanations for eliminating answer choices is bullsh*t...for instance, there was one question stem i remember where it was like, which is least likely to be the authors opinion....i isolated it down to two answer choices, which is usually easy, and then i picked the answer i felt wast "least" likely...when i looked up the correct answer, ek said that my choice wasn't least likely because it wasn't discussed in the passage....but wait, wouldn't that be LEAST likely! and also, i hate those stupid, which one is IMPLIED, and then the answer choice that is supossedly explicitly stated is considered wrong, yet in colloquial talk, implicit and explicit are basically interchangeable...perhaps i am just ranting because i seem to either demolish or get demolished by ek 101, but no inbetween...and after taking the 1 ammc that i have taken, and doing very well, i look over the answers and i have almost no qualms with there explanations...such is never the case with ek..argh!

Im in the same boat as you tncekm as I've been getting 65% on both EK and PR. Have you taken any other AAMC besides 3?

I took Test #3 in the TPR book and got a 31/40. Passage III owned me and I missed 6 of my 9 in that passage alone. I obviously did not understand the main idea. I'm about to go over it. I feel like this was the "KILLER" passage and the rest were easy and moderately difficult passages. This test doesn't seem representative of the real deal t ome. Maybe b/c this is the best I've done. I HOPE this is approvement and not a fluke. I guess I'll see soon.

Good job; hopefully your progress continues. That's a about a 10 level performance you just had!