Traditional rotating year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkzdragon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

Current confused MS4 and just thinking about the match. Do residency programs typically take their own in-house TRI's if they are interested in staying at the same hospital? Also how does the application process work for TRI's especially in the above situation (IE: do I apply for the program via ERAS the following, etc?). Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Do residency programs typically take their own in-house TRI's if they are interested in staying at the same hospital?

Depends. If the resident is good, we will try to snatch him (we've already had a chance to see how he performs for a whole year, which is more telling that one good interview day for someone we don't know). If he's not good we'll diplomatically and politely try to make him understand that it's in his best interest to "apply broadly" (some don't get the hint, and we have to tell them outright, "You didn't perform so well, we feel it's best if you start fresh in a different program").

Also how does the application process work for TRI's especially in the above situation (IE: do I apply for the program via ERAS the following, etc?)

Since you're talking about TRIs I'm assuming you're a DO in an AOA program. I forget what the AOA requirements are, so I'll let someone else answer that question. We used to be an AOA program, but I wasn't very involved with GME at that time, so I can't answer.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the specialty and hospital.
Where I did my TRI 2 of the specialties took 1 TRI and the rest of their spots went to other candidates & 1 of the specialties took more than 1 TRI.

Yes you apply via ERAS like usual.