Transcript Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am entering my transcript and I have some courses which I will take in Fall 2017 and Spring 2018. I know that I have to enter them as Planned/ In progress. My question is what will happen if I enter them under a semester in my application as planned/ in progress and I drop it during that semester?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking the same too. also, just my opinion, schools might frown upon that you said your going to take that classes you stated, but decided to drop maybe after you got into dental school. Also, from asking several people, some schools show the courses you plan to take on your official transcript, as my school also does this. So only classes that show up as planned will be Fall and summer.

Does your school even allow you to pick Spring classes already??

The school will have a right to take back their offer, assuming you get accepted. I believe it says, on a lot of their websites, that you have to complete all planned/in progress work prior to maturation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean entering a course as planned/in progress and not taking it later. I mean for example entering one of the prerequisite courses for Fall 2017 but later drop it and take it in Spring 2018 instead.

The school will have a right to take back their offer, assuming you get accepted. I believe it says, on a lot of their websites, that you have to complete all planned/in progress work prior to maturation.
What happens if that class fills up and you can't register for it?

Reactions: 1 user
Then it turns into what I said earlier. It doesn't matter exactly which semester you complete it in, you could take it as a summer course even, you just need to have it done before Dental school starts.

Then it turns into what I said earlier. It doesn't matter exactly which semester you complete it in, you could take it as a summer course even, you just need to have it done before Dental school starts.
that may not be possible, for example, advanced human physiology is only offered in the winter, just like histology. If I am not able to register for those because classes fill up, they would not be offered until the following year. so what then?

that may not be possible, for example, advanced human physiology is only offered in the winter, just like histology. If I am not able to register for those because classes fill up, they would not be offered until the following year. so what then?

Doesn't your school allow you to register for Fall classes in the spring semester before. I mean that is how my school does, and Im sure other schools as well, unless im wrong. But i would then take it at a CC (if you didn't max the amount of credits allowed to be taken at a CC). I hope you get in that class, bc my school does the same crap. Several classes are only offered in fall or spring, and some classes just whenever they reach a threshold. More and more schools are caring about income than allowing students to advance in their curriculum.

Doesn't your school allow you to register for Fall classes in the spring semester before. I mean that is how my school does, and Im sure other schools as well, unless im wrong. But i would then take it at a CC (if you didn't max the amount of credits allowed to be taken at a CC). I hope you get in that class, bc my school does the same crap. Several classes are only offered in fall or spring, and some classes just whenever they reach a threshold. More and more schools are caring about income than allowing students to advance in their curriculum.
We do register in the fall but some students have priority registration so thats why it fills up. My CC do not offer these upper bio level courses as these are the highest level bio classes at my school.

We do register in the fall but some students have priority registration so thats why it fills up. My CC do not offer these upper bio level courses as these are the highest level bio classes at my school.

I know what you mean. I was 'ahead' in my bio classes bc i started taking my prereqs in freshman year. I would always have to wait for upperclassman to sign up for classes like gen chem and cell bio. My suggestion would be to talk to the professor. I know my school is understanding and would usually help students out. You have a valid reason for them to save a spot. All I can say is good luck...

I know what you mean. I was 'ahead' in my bio classes bc i started taking my prereqs in freshman year. I would always have to wait for upperclassman to sign up for classes like gen chem and cell bio. My suggestion would be to talk to the professor. I know my school is understanding and would usually help students out. You have a valid reason for them to save a spot. All I can say is good luck...
What about the academic update window? I think thats in November so by that time, I should have an idea if I am able to take the class. Would me changing classes during academic update have any impact on acceptances?

So, from what I understand, you cannot change anything after you submit. At all, witht he exception of personal info, Dentpin, an a few other things ADEA states. You can only update anything that you identified as currently doing. For example, if you saw you were volunteering at a shelter from May 2016-present, come November, you can update hours or whatever they allow us to update. You can also add new experiences, if u became a tutor for example.

About classes, again, i don't think you can change what you submitted, but u can add what you will take. So by the November update, I'll know what classes I'm taking in Spring so I'll update that in AADSAS.

So, from what I understand, you cannot change anything after you submit. At all, witht he exception of personal info, Dentpin, an a few other things ADEA states. You can only update anything that you identified as currently doing. For example, if you saw you were volunteering at a shelter from May 2016-present, come November, you can update hours or whatever they allow us to update. You can also add new experiences, if u became a tutor for example.

About classes, again, i don't think you can change what you submitted, but u can add what you will take. So by the November update, I'll know what classes I'm taking in Spring so I'll update that in AADSAS.

Then what is the purpose of academic update if it's not to modify classes?

on top of each section of AADSAS it says what can or cannot be updated. I can't see what it says bc I finalized my transcript entry. If you have any specific question I suggest you call AADSAS 617-612-2045. They are very helpful. They helped me out with all my questions. They will let you know exactly what can be changed, and might even offer insight on what to do. Best of luck to you.

Good point! A lot can happen between now and even the Fall semester. Plenty of times you change /drop classes. It seems to me that if you meet the requirements (prerequisites) for a given school, it shouldn't matter if you change some of your courses.