Transcription Clarification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiakTiDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm a bit confused when I run into problems that involve Transcribing a DNA strand. I'm currently using Kaplan books and I was just wondering, for the real MCAT, will they clarify which strand of DNA you are given?

When I was doing these problems in my Kaplan book it would not clarify what strand you are given (whether it be a Coding strand or a Template strand) so I wasn't sure if I should first find the template strand and then transcribe it or directly transcribe the strand.

Do I assume that it is either Coding/Template or will it be clarified?

Members don't see this ad.

Transcription always occurs on the non-coding, template strand. The coding region is identical to the transcribed mRNA (except of course the U-for-T substitution). It should be clear from the problem whether you're dealing with the coding or non-coding strand. Do you have specific examples?

Transcription always occurs on the non-coding, template strand. The coding region is identical to the transcribed mRNA (except of course the U-for-T substitution). It should be clear from the problem whether you're dealing with the coding or non-coding strand. Do you have specific examples?

That actually makes a lot of sense, Specifically "Transcription always occurs on the non-coding, template strand". Thank you!
I also did notice that the coding strand is identical to the mRNA just with the substitution, but when I tried applying that to some of the problems they did not work.

No specific examples, I just ran to problems that stated "A DNA Sequence is listed below" and nothing more. So I was a bit confused on what to do with the sequence.