I do transcription, but not medical - I've done it for therapists and journalists, all through networking and connections. All under the table, not through any official program at all. It's an awesome job, I've been doing it for over eight years, and I love being able to work whenever wherever. I don't use a foot pedal, but there's a really useful free program you can download called Express Scribe. I set the arrow keys to be my stop, rewind, forward, and play, which makes it nice and easy. Much better than back when I first started when we were still using tapes and hand held audio recorders!
I've looked into some of the websites that offer transcription jobs, and they require a certain format, a pedal, and a ton of tests that you have to pass. A lot of them also had certain times that you had to be online to transcribe. I haven't looked into it in a while, though, so things may have changed. But if you can get an informal position/a job not through one of the big companies, it's an amazing job to have. 👍