Transfer credit from CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if you go to a 4 year institution and you want to take summer courses at a Community College, will aadsas allow the transfer of credits and grades (these are ge classes and not classes that are in my major). My 4yr college allows the transferable classes, however, i heard it doesnt show up on aadsas. Thanks alot...

Members don't see this ad.

I started out at a community college and transferred my credits to a 4 yr school. These credits all showed up on AADSAS no problem.

Same here. All of my credits were calculated into my AADSAS GPA.

Because of being a non-trad and having a house payment, I had to continue to work during the first couple of years of pre-reqs. The university didn't offer any classes I could fit into my schedule so I took them through the local CC. I know there are some schools that will limit the amount of CC credits they will allow. From my personal experience, however, I've found most schools looked at my situation favorably because I was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA while taking 18 credit hours, working full time and commuting 1 hour each way to work. Some of it is in how you present yourself if asked about why you chose to take credits at a CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
well im only taking 3 classes at a cc so that i dont have to take them at my college because they are harder, so basically im doing it to get ahead and so that i can take more science/work on my 2 minor classes next year.

well im only taking 3 classes at a cc so that i dont have to take them at my college because they are harder, so basically im doing it to get ahead and so that i can take more science courses/work on finishing my 2 minors next year and senior year.

bump

Last edited:
are schools very strict about when they say no prereqs at a cc? I plan on taking physics my senior year during the application process at a cc, will that automatically rule me out of a few schools? thanks for the help anyone.

I've heard mixed things about how strict some of the schools are on those no pre-reqs at CC rule, but I'd ask the school directly if you're really concerned about one in particular. Also, you'll have to go to the CC and have them send your transcripts to AADSAS, you fill the classes in, and it's just that easy!

I took lower dev bio, Gchem, Ochem, Genetics and Physics at my CC, as I was a transfer student, and I still got into Columbia, so I guess some schools care and other's don't.

I think it is best to take pre-reqs at a 4 year university rather than at a CC. Most schools will look down on applicants for going to a CC for that.

However, general ed classes are probably safe to be taken at a CC...

I think one should get the ADEA book. It has all the info regarding CC coursework for each individual school. Check your school's career services dept. They might have this book.

IMO, if you can manage to take upper level division courses in 4 years school after taking basic science courses in CC, it is not going to hurt you. (it is not for you people already have accepted :D lol)

What if I take a pre req my senior year at a cc after taking everything at a 4 year up until this point?

What if I take a pre req my senior year at a cc after taking everything at a 4 year up until this point?

ask the school you are trying to get in. upper division courses(biology) are playing very significant roll for most of the schools admission.

yea, it will show up with no problem