Transfer Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayomi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a Exercise Physiology major and I am about to start the process of applying to PT schools. Before transfering to my 4 year institute I did 2 years at a community college and some of my Pre-req's for PT school were taken there. My question is do my grades I recieved in Community college count towards my Pre-Req GPA for PT schools or do the only credits that count towards my GPA come from my 4 year institute?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have transcripts from the CC? If so, these grades definitely count. The prerequisite classes can be taken anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have transcripts from the CC? If so, these grades definitely count. The prerequisite classes can be taken anywhere.
Yes I do. I figured they would count I just was unsure if they would use the grades from the institution. My other question I had was about retakes. Apparently if I take a class for example General Chemistry I and get a C+ in the class, and then go on and take General Chemistry II and make whatever grade I can no longer retake the first Chemistry class because I have already passed the next level class. If I instead take the General Chemistry at the CC will I be able to factor in this grade for my Pre-req GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can take General Chem I at a CC. Your PTCAS pre req GPA will use both the original grade and also the retake grade....so you will end up with an average rather than grade replacement. Individual schools may choose to calculate their own pre -req GPAs in different ways. Know your schools' grade calculation procedures!

Yes, you can take General Chem I at a CC. Your PTCAS pre req GPA will use both the original grade and also the retake grade....so you will end up with an average rather than grade replacement. Individual schools may choose to calculate their own pre -req GPAs in different ways. Know your schools' grade calculation procedures!
Thank you for the info!