Transfer from 6 year pharmacy school to 4 year pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just completed the first two year of pre-pharmacy undergraduate courses in a 6 year pharmacy school program and have made into professional year few weeks ago.
Since I have completed the required undergraduate courses, I've been thinking about transferring to a 4-year pharmacy school that I could apply for.
I've been doing some research and found out that I meet the prerequisite of a lots of 4 year pharmacy school such as UCSF, Purdue, and USC.
It's already too late to apply for transfer so I was planning to take my first professional year at the university I am currently enrolled in and apply for transfers during semester.

I know it is very rare to transfer pharmacy schools but say if I do get accepted. If I transfer, will I have to take the professional year all over from the beginning or would they only require me to take the courses that I have not yet taken?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I just completed the first two year of pre-pharmacy undergraduate courses in a 6 year pharmacy school program and have made into professional year few weeks ago.
Since I have completed the required undergraduate courses, I've been thinking about transferring to a 4-year pharmacy school that I could apply for.
I've been doing some research and found out that I meet the prerequisite of a lots of 4 year pharmacy school such as UCSF, Purdue, and USC.
It's already too late to apply for transfer so I was planning to take my first professional year at the university I am currently enrolled in and apply for transfers during semester.

I know it is very rare to transfer pharmacy schools but say if I do get accepted. If I transfer, will I have to take the professional year all over from the beginning or would they only require me to take the courses that I have not yet taken?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice!!
I don't think most schools will accept anyone into a year beyond P1. A short while ago a P3 at MCPHS Worcester failed a course twice and transferred to MCPHS Boston. They got stuck back into P1. Massachusetts College of Pharm and Health Sciences is one of the worst when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think what you're asking is universal.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of threads on transferring. It is almost never done and not for a very good reason. You will likely have to repeat a year. The best advice is to ask the school you'd like to transfer to.

Hmmm so it's most likely that they'll make me repeat the P1 year? Okay thanks!

What's wrong with the school you're accepted into now?

Well, during my two years here, I found out that the school is not at accredited as I thought it was. Our school's curriculum is also known to be needlessly challenging compared to other pharmacy schools and our tuition is excessively high because it is a private school. Our campus is very small too so I never actually had any chance to experience a real college life (All I remember in the last two years was mostly killing myself to study). The main reason I came here, besides the fact that it was a 6 year program, was because they gave me the most amount of scholarship but I will only be getting this scholarship until my fourth year and after that I have to pay the full tuition. People here are great and I enjoyed some experiences at this school but I don't think it's worthy to pay all those high tuition till graduation. It's just one of those thoughts I've been thinking as an option. If I try transfer and make it, then that's great and if I don't, then that's still okay with me I guess.

You are going to have a hard time transferring especially to the schools you had mentioned because they usually like their applicants to have at least a bachelor degree.

If you don't have much student loan, I would consider transferring to a 4 year university and start all over. You are still young. Two years is not going to mean that much in the long run.

You will most definitely need to repeat your P1 year. Since one of the reasons for wanting to transfer was cost...think about the opportunity cost of a year's worth of lost wages.