Transfer from medical school to veterinary school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fengsoir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in my second year of medical school. I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of transferring into a veterinary school without having to start over? Either in the US or Europe would be a possibility.

Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a serious question?

No. No, no no. You cannot transfer from medical school to veterinary school. The curriculums are completely different due to the immense species variation. You guys study humans. We study dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, birds, reptiles, etc...everything BUT humans.

You will have to get significant veterinary experience (shadowing, clinic work, etc. with a variety of species - it is required to apply to almost every vet school), make sure you have completed all the prereq classes, and apply to veterinary school to start as a first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I second WTF. The only similarities between the two curriculae are the titles of some of the first year classes.

Not to mention vet schools are incredibly choosy with their applicants. My school required 400 hours in a veterinary clinical setting just to meet minimum requirements for application the year that I applied.

You won't be able to transfer in, but you can begin the application process; you mind find your experience with the workload and some common vocabulary will assist you in veterinary school, but our animal species are wonderfully different from humans!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am in my second year of medical school. I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of transferring into a veterinary school without having to start over? Either in the US or Europe would be a possibility.

Many thanks in advance!

Nope. A lot of the pre-reqs are the same, though, so you wouldn't have to start completely from scrtach but you would need to accumulate some decent experience and be ready to tell the admissions people why you decided to switch so late.

Not to mention that, unless you come from a very wealthy family, the debt burden from 6 years of professional school will be overwhelming. The job market is saturated, starting salaries are low compared to debt (less than $70K) and have been stagnant for several years, and things don't look like they're going to improve anytime soon, with new schools being opened up and class sizes at other schools increasing.

Well, for once I won't be the voice of skepticism…

If you have a research background, then you might have a better shot, especially if you have any veterinary experience.
The pre-reqs are pretty much the same at most schools (some have nutrition or a couple have animal physiology or what not… but mostly you ail be fine).

But, there is no way they will let you skip 1st (or 2nd year). Some schools do allow you to place out of some classes, but you will have to start from scratch.

A lot of it will be repetitive…. but with a new angle.

I think if you can explain well why you are shifting, have vet experience or can get it, you might not be as bad off as it appears.

there is a girl in my class who went to medical school in india, came to the US for her residency, and decided she wanted to pursue her lifelong dream of being a vet. she was accepted without having to take any of the pre-reqs, i believe, because of her solid educational background as an MD. but she had to take all of the classes with the rest of us, starting from first year.