transfer from PhD to MD ( / Phd)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I know about a person who

• transfered from a PhD track to an MD program

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mirrorimage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I really need your advice.

I am a third year PhD student in a medical-related field of a high profile university. I am doing well in the PhD program, but I have been thinking about transferring into MD(- PhD) program for a long time now. I even applied to MD - PhD the summer of my first year. The clinical field continues to attract me. I realize that this is not a traditional case, but I am very interested in making this transition. Are any of you considering something similar or have already done it? Theoretical suggestions are also very welcome.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear QofQuimica, thank you for an excellent link. It answers a lot of my questions. For a few points, however, I could use more detail.

The most challenging one, perhaps, is how to be straightforward with a PI and not burn bridges. One possibility is to keep the same lab, and it would help me to learn about the people who did so already (i.e. transferred into MD / PhD, but kept the same lab). How far along their PhD were they? What schools allow such a transition? Alternatively, some people may have transfered completely. How did they manage the relationship with their boss and their committee?

Thanks a lot, it really helps to know about people in a similar situation.

You need to talk to someone who knows your specific situation, but in my experience (I was in a PhD program and had many grad friends trying to make the switch at various times) most schools want you to finish the degree first, before applying. Or......they will accept you provisionally, ie: they may accept you, but if you haven't finished the degree you are working on before class starts, you lose your acceptance.
As far as your PI and the opinion of your actions from the grad school side.......I have never seen a situation in which this did not totally tick everyone off. In best-case scenarios, the student stuck around, but there was a lot of tension and anger from the dept. In worst-case scenarios, the school pulled the students funding and basically booted them........

Again, this is only my experience and you really need to talk to someone who knows your individual situation and your school. But realize that it may ruffle some feathers and tread carefully.