Transfer from Ross question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm still applying to med schools (Caribbean and US), and I was just wondering if someone could transfer from Ross into clinicals (3rd year) after the 4 semesters on the island, or if the AICM 5th semester is usually treated like the basic sciences requirement. I ask because I am deciding for which term I should apply to Ross. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to Ross, so I don't know all the specifics. I did however meet an ER resident in Milwaukee who claimed he transferred from Ross (coincidentally:)) to UW Madison for his 3rd year, so I suppose its not outside the realm of possibility. However, even if his story is true, it doesn't mean that it's likely you will be able to transfer. In fact, its almost certain that you will not be able to do so. For one thing, Wisconsin med schools are much more accommodating to Wisco residents, so unless you are from there, your chances are slim (not sure about other states tho). There also has to be a spot available in the corresponding clerkship program at your target school, which there normally are none. And even if there are spots available, they may (and probably will) give first priority to students in other LCME-accredited US schools first. The general rule is that you should never, ever go to the Caribbean with an expectation to transfer. It is extremely unlikely you will succeed, as I'm sure other people on this thread can attest. Best of luck.

A guy in my class transferred to University of Colorado after finishing his second year at Ross and taking Step 1. He had to repeat the second year at U of C, despite that he had already taken and passed the first step of USMLE. Not sure if it was worth it for him (lost touch), but he really wanted to go into orthopedics. Not sure if he ever got into orthopedics either. This was also 2003.

Paraphrasing Unzbuzzled, there are no guarantees in life.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you have both misinterpreted the question.

I think he/she is asking how the 5th semester at Ross works. They want to know if after completing the 4 basic sci semesters they can "transfer" directly into their clinical rotations, or whether the 5th semester is a "physical thing" that they have to do -- and whether it's on or off island. I assume the OP is trying to figure out which semester is "best" for starting, such that one finishes at a good time to match into a residency (without a long pause). How long the 5th semester is, and what it actually entails, is the question.

I have no idea what the answer is.

Ah! You're right! Mea culpa. I was just following Unzbuzzled's lead and definitely also misinterpreted.

Been a long time since I was on the rock, but 5th semester is definitely required and you can't simply skip it and go directly into clinicals (i.e., 3rd year). In fact, you can't take Step 1 before you complete 5th semester (if I recall correctly). And, you can't start clinicals until you've taken Step 1. Most clinical sites (again, if I recall correctly) require you have a passing score on Step 1 before you can start rotations, with a few rare exceptions.

Of course, you can always email the registrar at the school and get a more up-to-date answer.

Bon chance.

-Skip

Also, fifth semester was in Miami when I was there, was nine weeks long, but they also had an option to take it on the island in Roseau at the main hospital.

Again, good luck.

-Skip

I think he/she is asking how the 5th semester at Ross works. They want to know if after completing the 4 basic sci semesters they can "transfer" directly into their clinical rotations, or whether the 5th semester is a "physical thing" that they have to do -- and whether it's on or off island. I assume the OP is trying to figure out which semester is "best" for starting, such that one finishes at a good time to match into a residency (without a long pause). How long the 5th semester is, and what it actually entails, is the question.

I have no idea what the answer is.

Mah bad

i started in the may term of 2011. finished my 5th semester at the end of november 2012. will be taking the USMLE next month, will get results by march 15, will look to see if there are openings for transfers then. a word of caution, they are changing a lot at ross, regarding 5th semester, timelines, temporary withdrawl status etc. try to get this information straight from them to make sure it's going to work for you. as i'm sure other people have told you before going from ross to a US medschool takes a good deal of luck ONTOP of amazing scores, gl.