Transfer hemonc fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTips

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all just wondering is there a way of transferring fellowship by second or third year , family issues are making it hard to stay in my city

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol
Ok guys your having too much fun but any help or ideas will be appreciated

Lol
Sorry OP I couldn't resist.

I am not in program leadership but I did do a chief year in residency and have some experience "behind the curtain" if you will. IMO this is unlikely to be something to shoot for. Heme/Onc is pretty competitive these days so an empty spot is not something that is just going to be sitting around waiting for you to transfer in. Transfers are rarer than they were in residency and even in residency they weren't very common.

I would say also that it might depend on what the "family issues" actually are... I feel like most of the time they are either "my mom misses me" or "it turns out my spouse misses their mom more than they thought" and that is unlikely to generate much sympathy from programs. On the other end of the spectrum, "my parent was just unexpectedly injured/diagnosed with cancer and has nobody to help care for them" might be a situation where your PD might try to help pull some strings for you with another program, but emphasis on might try.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol
As with 90+% of questions on SDN... (sing along, you know the words)... It depends.

There is no formal process for this, so you're going to have to reach out to individual programs and ask if they are able/willing to accommodate you. The number of opportunities you'll have in this respect are clearly going to be related to where you "need" to move.

The "good" news for you is that, at the end of your first year of fellowship, your current program has gotten most of the work out of you that they needed, and the remaining 2 years you're mostly a loss leader that they're propping up until you finish fellowship and can get a job, making way for another group of first year fellows who actually do most of the work. So, if you can find a place to land, they're unlikely to make a big deal out of you leaving.

You'll get your contract renewal in Feb or March so hopefully you can sort it out in the meantime.

Reactions: 1 user
As with 90+% of questions on SDN... (sing along, you know the words)... It depends.

There is no formal process for this, so you're going to have to reach out to individual programs and ask if they are able/willing to accommodate you. The number of opportunities you'll have in this respect are clearly going to be related to where you "need" to move.

The "good" news for you is that, at the end of your first year of fellowship, your current program has gotten most of the work out of you that they needed, and the remaining 2 years you're mostly a loss leader that they're propping up until you finish fellowship and can get a job, making way for another group of first year fellows who actually do most of the work. So, if you can find a place to land, they're unlikely to make a big deal out of you leaving.

You'll get your contract renewal in Feb or March so hopefully you can sort it out in the meantime.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks eveyone for the replies and input , it’s actually more abt old parents and need to move closer to help take care of them for my husband , so I guess I should reach out to individual programs to see if they are willing to take me on In there program .
I was thinking I’ll be done with first year honestly even after second year so they work force issue doesn’t come into play and I don’t screw my fellow residents over . Do you guys think I should reach out to the programs first or talk to my PD first .

Thanks eveyone for the replies and input , it’s actually more abt old parents and need to move closer to help take care of them for my husband , so I guess I should reach out to individual programs to see if they are willing to take me on In there program .
I was thinking I’ll be done with first year honestly even after second year so they work force issue doesn’t come into play and I don’t screw my fellow residents over . Do you guys think I should reach out to the programs first or talk to my PD first .
Hate to say it, but I’m not sure that’s a reason that’s going to generate much sympathy from your PD (or from other programs you might want to try to move to) - especially since if I’m reading it correctly it’s your husband’s parents who are having health issues, and not your own? There are lots and lots of trainees in situations like yours, and the vast majority of them are just slogging through training trying to get done with things. (When I was in residency, my then-wife and kids lived 300 miles away in a different state…it was rough, and we eventually got divorced at the end of my fellowship. Attempted to transfer and it never panned out.) The way GME is done in this country kinda sucks overall, but it sucks just as much for everyone else too - and if we just let everyone bail out and move around during training we’d have complete pandemonium.

Last edited:
One option is to do the research portion of your fellowship at another institution. I know of people who have done this and they had to occasionally come back to their old fellowship for call and such. From what I know, this is hard to negotiate as your current fellowship is probably not too excited to pay your salary to go publish papers at another institution but it’s possible if you can find the money yourself (grant) or the mentor at the other institution has the funding. This is easier to justify for physician-scientist types, but if you can convince your program and a mentor at another institution to support it ($$), it’s possible.

One option is to do the research portion of your fellowship at another institution. I know of people who have done this and they had to occasionally come back to their old fellowship for call and such. From what I know, this is hard to negotiate as your current fellowship is probably not too excited to pay your salary to go publish papers at another institution but it’s possible if you can find the money yourself (grant) or the mentor at the other institution has the funding. This is easier to justify for physician-scientist types, but if you can convince your program and a mentor at another institution to support it ($$), it’s possible.
Thank you for the input , I was thinking of something of that sort , doing clinic stuff at my parents institution and then research at a different one . Or I may have to finish at two years and certify in onc is the last option