Quantcast

transfer MD PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDori

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I got accepted into a PhD program in engineering at very good tech university that doesn't have a medical school... should i drop out and wait till i get accepted in another one? or wait and transfer next year or the one after into one that has an MD Phd program

given:
i have no research experience, yet
ive been out of work and taking care of my baby daughter for a few years, so basically if i dont go i have nothing to do next year to add to my experience !

Barley426

MD Class of 2017
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its been covered before in the forums but the bottom line is, its very very hard to transfer from PhD to MD/PHD. It's even harder when your PhD program is not a medically relevant PhD with an affiliated medical school. Neither are impossible, and have happened in the past depending on who you talk to, although they are very rare.

You'd be much better off applying MD/PhD, or just straight MD if thats what you really want.

Last edited:

K31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is extremely difficult to switch for a PhD program into a MD/PhD program at the same school, and virtually impossible if your school doesn't have a MD/PhD program.

Also, without any research experience you aren't going to get into a MD/PhD program.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on your post history you are also an international student. You have no chance at MD/PhD at this time, nor would you be accepted in transfer. Your best chance, depending on the rest of your application, would be to have a successful PhD, become a US permanent resident or citizen, do very well on the MCAT, and apply to medical school after completing your PhD. This would assume an otherwise strong transcript before the PhD.

DrDori

Reaction score
thanks all for your replies.. although this paints a rather gloomy picture :)
K31, I was actually thinking enrollment in the PhD program will give me a chance to do some research.
Neuronix, I understand that few schools accept international students.. so i had some hope...

i guess this means i should go ahead with the PhD.. but if i apply midway an try to o the transfer anyway and dont get accepted.. does it hurt my chances later if i apply again after im finishedd with the PhD

DrDori

Reaction score
Its been covered before in the forums but the bottom line is, its very very hard to transfer from PhD to MD/PHD. It's even harder when your PhD program is not a medically relevant PhD with an affiliated medical school. Neither are impossible, and have happened in the past depending on who you talk to, although they are very rare.

You'd be much better off applying MD/PhD, or just straight MD if thats what you really want.

FYI- I'm a current PhD student (just finished year 1) and am taking the MCAT in a month trying to fight all the odds and naysayers, but I fully recognize it would have been MUCH easier for me had I not matriculated into my program first.

I am not sure what do you mean by "depending on who u talk to" ?
also, do you intend to transfer in the MD/PhD of the same school you go to now? and do you know which schools would mean better chances for this situation?

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neuronix, I understand that few schools accept international students.. so i had some hope...

Internationals are considered after doing a nearly flawless US or Canadian undergrad, with a very high MCAT score, and on the order of four years of undergraduate research experience.

if i apply midway an try to o the transfer anyway and dont get accepted..

It would be a waste of money. Very well qualified US students fail at this.

Barley426

MD Class of 2017
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what do you mean by "depending on who u talk to" ?
also, do you intend to transfer in the MD/PhD of the same school you go to now? and do you know which schools would mean better chances for this situation?

I just meant that some people will say it never happens, and some will actually know of an instance where it has happened. Either way it's rare.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

K31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use the actual stats, about 10 international students in the MD/PhD classes (~630) for each of the past 2 years. Not impossible, but very hard. I agree with Neuronix about an easier path to becoming MD/PhD.

I'm willing to bet all those matriculants graduated from US or Canadian universities though. At least all the international MD/PhD students I know did.

DrDori

Reaction score
Is is possible in this case to quantify the requirements?
MCAT score
number of publications
years of research experience
GPA
and does the PhD area make a difference? one better chance than others