Transfer Procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesia 1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have some questions about transferring between residency programs and was hoping that the board may be able to offer some insight. I just began as a PGY-1 this July in a categorial anesthesia program. However, this is not the program I thought I would end up at; unfortunately the program is located somewhere my wife cannot continue her graduate work and I would ideally like to transfer to another program. As of now the situation is causing my wife and i to have to live 1000 miles apart. I have noticed that some programs are already listing out of match positions for ca-1 2010 positions. What is the protocol for applying to such positions? Do I need to discuss this with my PD already? I would ideally like to start these discussions with my PD if I have a good chance of landing one of these spots rather than now since I dont want to burn the bridge on this end where I already have a secure spot. I would greatly appreciate any advice everyone could offer! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I have some questions about transferring between residency programs and was hoping that the board may be able to offer some insight. I just began as a PGY-1 this July in a categorial anesthesia program. However, this is not the program I thought I would end up at; unfortunately the program is located somewhere my wife cannot continue her graduate work and I would ideally like to transfer to another program. As of now the situation is causing my wife and i to have to live 1000 miles apart. I have noticed that some programs are already listing out of match positions for ca-1 2010 positions. What is the protocol for applying to such positions? Do I need to discuss this with my PD already? I would ideally like to start these discussions with my PD if I have a good chance of landing one of these spots rather than now since I dont want to burn the bridge on this end where I already have a secure spot. I would greatly appreciate any advice everyone could offer! Thanks in advance.

hey sorry i can't help you out. but i was wondering if you could tell me where you see the many programs are starting to offer outside the match spots?

thanks in advance for your help.