transfer programs during intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyefly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and still get credit for the year. can this be done if both programs are ok with the transfer? (they are) i do not want to risk losing my ophthalmology spot. has anyone ever done this?

Members don't see this ad.

...and still get credit for the year. can this be done if both programs are ok with the transfer? (they are) i do not want to risk losing my ophthalmology spot. has anyone ever done this?

It would be fairly unusual to transfer during the year, but that doesn't mean it can't be done if both programs are agreeable.

As for getting credit-you would only get credit for those months that are acceptable to the program you are transferring in to as well as your Ophtho advanced program. That is, if you are doing a lateral transfer - ie, a Prelim Med to a Prelim Med program, with similar rotations, then you should be able to get credit for all the months completed.

This is unusual but not impossible. A few years ago one of the Duke IM interns swapped places with a Duke psych intern. They basically heard through the grapevine that the other was looking to make the switch, so they got together and approached their respective program directors about it. Once their program directors ok'd it, they made the switch the following month.

-AT.