transfer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike7704

Undergrad
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've search for this question and have read the responses but I think my situation is a bit different. I began college at my local community college and stayed for one year, I then transferred to my flagship state university which is located a short distance from my house. I am going to be a sophomore in the fall but have always wanted to go to college in another part of the country. I have been debating for some time now as to whether or not I should transfer. I have heard that transferring that many times could be a negative in the admission committees eyes. The schools I am looking at are other large flagship state schools far from my house (also; they are all higher ranked than my current state school FWIW).

Many people say to "do what you want" even if it may not be the best course of action to get into medical school. Part of me wants to go somewhere else for school and part of me feels that the path to becoming a doctor is full of sacrifices and if transferring again is a negative then it is just a sacrifice I will have to make.

Sorry for the long post; I'm just wondering what other people in my position would do?

Members don't see this ad.

I've search for this question and have read the responses but I think my situation is a bit different. I began college at my local community college and stayed for one year, I then transferred to my flagship state university which is located a short distance from my house. I am going to be a sophomore in the fall but have always wanted to go to college in another part of the country. I have been debating for some time now as to whether or not I should transfer. I have heard that transferring that many times could be a negative in the admission committees eyes. The schools I am looking at are other large flagship state schools far from my house (also; they are all higher ranked than my current state school FWIW).

Many people say to "do what you want" even if it may not be the best course of action to get into medical school. Part of me wants to go somewhere else for school and part of me feels that the path to becoming a doctor is full of sacrifices and if transferring again is a negative then it is just a sacrifice I will have to make.

Sorry for the long post; I'm just wondering what other people in my position would do?

If you really want to transfer, do it. It won't really hurt you come admissions time if you explain everything. :) I transfered from huge Uni to small CC to mid Uni. you won't be the only one with 2 transfers.

Stay where you are. You're going to make the application process a real hassle, and you are probably comfortable enough where you are. Finish your undergrad; go to medical school away from home.