transfer schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dahuibra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a concern about transfering of school and GPA, My fisrt 2 years of college was at two different schools, and i did not do so well. My GPA was a 3.0 at my first school and a 2.4 at my second. My last two years of school will be at the same college. How does the gpa calaculate, let say i do much better at the final school and recieve 3.5 overall. How do adcoms look at this? What are schools looking at, overall GPA or BPCM? (i was in the military at the first part of my undergrad work and now out). My goal is to grad with a 3.4 overall gpa(combination of all schools) and have a lot of work to do at my last school ot ofset my poor performance in the begining.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, the fact that you kept changing schools will no look that good. But if you get your GPA up to a 3.4 like you said and have a lot of extra curriculars, and do well on the MCAT you should have a good chance. Also, med schools look at your overall GPA and the BMCP.

I was in the military, so i had no choice but to change school, all at a 4 year University level. I'm sure adcoms will understand that.

The answer is "really no differently than were you to stay at the same school for all 4 years." Your gpa will be calculated as an overall and BCPM from all 4 years, as well as a year by year trend. The extent to which each is valued varies by program to program; however, your science gpa is rather important as a measure of your abilities to handle the medical school curriculum.

The fact that you display a DOWNWARD trend will not be viewed favorably, IMHO, unless you have picked it up substantially your final 2 years.

Hope this helps.