Transfer undergrad schools...again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon12345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My position: I just transferred this year to U.C. Berkeley as Junior from a state school, where I had a 3.89 GPA. Once at Berkeley (this summer), I decided to take a couple of classes, specifically o-chem, which I was behind on taking. Unfortunately, I didn't receive financial aid for the summer due to some technicalities, so I needed to work (I own a small business) while attending classes...and take care of my daughter part-time. I just got my grades back today and here they are; .5 PE class A, o-chem lab 2 units A, o-chem lecture 3 units C+. So here are my questions:

1. Would it be beneficial for me to transfer to an easier school to maintain a higher GPA?

2. Should I retake the o-chem lecture?

3. Do med-schools take undergraduate university difficulty into consideration?

Oh, and yes, I am 24, have lots of work experience, not much research/volunteering experience, and I'm a part-time dad of a 5 year-old.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My position: I just transferred this year to U.C. Berkeley as Junior from a state school, where I had a 3.89 GPA. Once at Berkeley (this summer), I decided to take a couple of classes, specifically o-chem, which I was behind on taking. Unfortunately, I didn't receive financial aid for the summer due to some technicalities, so I needed to work (I own a small business) while attending classes...and take care of my daughter part-time. I just got my grades back today and here they are; .5 PE class A, o-chem lab 2 units A, o-chem lecture 3 units C+.

Oh, and yes, I am 24, have lots of work experience, not much research/volunteering experience, and I'm a part-time dad of a 5 year-old.
The answer to all your questions is no. :) The C+ will pull you down some, but on 3.89 it'll barely make a dent.

I assume you have to take O Chem 2- do better than a C+ in that and no one will likely raise an eyebrow.