transfering from carib to US school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im applying now to Us Allo, US DO and Carib schools (St. george and AUC) I was curious to know what is the rate of students transfering from a carib school back to a US school. Secondly, Do the US schools still look at your undergrad GPA, MCAT etc or do they focus on you grades in the carib med school thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Im applying now to Us Allo, US DO and Carib schools (St. george and AUC) I was curious to know what is the rate of students transfering from a carib school back to a US school. Secondly, Do the US schools still look at your undergrad GPA, MCAT etc or do they focus on you grades in the carib med school thanks

transfers back into US? very very very very low. Don't expect it to happen. great if it does, but not bloody likely.
Most will want USMLE step 1 scores before considering you for transfer. Some might have you repeat certain aspects.

They'll ask for USMLE scores, school grades, mcat, undergrad gpa, undergrad letters if available, 2/3 LORs from your enrolled med school. Paper applications for each school.

Need a high gpa in med school, but other than that they are worthless. Its like a req you have to meet but won't impress them much. Schools grade different, etc. If anything they'll few a carib gpa like a community college pre-med gpa, with no respect to the work you put in.

Basically, i've tried for 3 straight years and the closest i ever got was an interview to Drexel. Did not make it.

At least 12 students transferred from Ross to various US allopathic medical schools within the last 2 years.

States Med schools were at: WI, PA, OH

Members don't see this ad :)
At least 12 students transferred from Ross to various US allopathic medical schools within the last 2 years.

States Med schools were at: WI, PA, OH

One thing to point out is you are defined FMG by where you do basic Science.
:luck:

hey oldpro,

where did you hear this? it seems that it would make sense to be labelled a foreign med grad by where you graduate from. granted, i never read any official document on this, but i managed to transfer under this assumption, and even said in my interview that i want to transfer cuz it's advantageous to be a US med grad. do you have any evidence to support this?

to the op,

i don't know about the transfer rates, but it's really low. you shouldn't go to a carib school expecting to transfer back. that said, 8 students from my class at sgu transferred into 2nd year at US schools. 7 to drexel, one to tulane. there's also a ross transfer in my class at drexel too. rumor around here is that those are higher than normal amounts, but i have no way to confirm that.

from what i know, they all did very well in med school, obviously, but all had fairly strong applications beforehand too. admissions offices can be picky in terms of transfers and choose applicants that have both, so yes, they do care a lot about how you did in undergrad and your mcat. good luck with your apps. hopefully this is all a moot point for you.

Here we go, Look I'm an FMG my self so this is not to be Negative,

But

1. Many states have laws and rules about Basic Sci being done a certian amount of time and in the country of charter.
2. You must summit your transcripts for verification for the USLME (maybe a transfer student from Caribbean to US can post on this ) but transcripts from lets say.........Johns Hopkins will show that you went to a school in the Caribbean and transferred so you must submit the transcripts from the other school too.
3. Few if any schools in the US take transfers without Step one or most will accept you as year 1 student then yes you will be a US Grad but then you are redoing Basic Science.
4. The match Yeah you can say I go to Johns Hopkins and will Graduate but if you did not redo the Basic Science there YOU ARE LYING and they will know since they will require the transcripts.

Hence you are an FMG (I do not think this is that bad but some I guess want to make the FMG go away?)

If I'm wrong please tell me but this has been discussed to death on VMD.:luck:

well, i knew that i'd have to keep using my old school's transcripts. that's obvious enough. i'm just trying to figure out where this fmg tag fits in. i don't mind it - after all i was all ready to go into the match as a graduate of sgu. i just want to see if i got this straight. since i transferred:

i don't need to go through the ecfmg

i will fill out the ERAS as a us allo student rather than an independent (this according to shah) which should mean that residency programs will put my application on the hypothetical us med student pile rather than the non-us student pile (which is really all i care about)

maybe in the interview it might come up as "oh, you did your first year in the caribbean?" "yep" "you like it?" "yep" "ok then"

i don't have the option to pre-match anymore - oh well, i wanted to enjoy the thrill of match day anyways

my degree will say graduate of drexel med, not foreign medical graduate of drexel, graduate of st. drexel's university, drexel george's university, drexel university c/o the caribbean or anything along those lines.

i guess it might come up in state licensing issues? will texas still make me jump through 8 different hoops if i wanted to get licensed there? if that's the only place that this label comes in, then i guess it doesn't matter that i'm an fmg. as long as i'm considered a for residencies the same as other us allos. where else would this be an issue? i can't find a thread on vmd about it.

well, i knew that i'd have to keep using my old school's transcripts. that's obvious enough. i'm just trying to figure out where this fmg tag fits in. i don't mind it - after all i was all ready to go into the match as a graduate of sgu. i just want to see if i got this straight. since i transferred:

i will fill out the ERAS as a us allo student rather than an independent (this according to shah) which should mean that residency programs will put my application on the hypothetical us med student pile rather than the non-us student pile (which is really all i care about)

maybe in the interview it might come up as "oh, you did your first year in the caribbean?" "yep" "you like it?" "yep" "ok then"

i don't have the option to pre-match anymore - oh well, i wanted to enjoy the thrill of match day anyways

my degree will say graduate of drexel med, not foreign medical graduate of drexel, graduate of st. drexel's university, drexel george's university, drexel university c/o the caribbean or anything along those lines.

i guess it might come up in state licensing issues? will texas still make me jump through 8 different hoops if i wanted to get licensed there? if that's the only place that this label comes in, then i guess it doesn't matter that i'm an fmg. as long as i'm considered a for residencies the same as other us allos. where else would this be an issue? i can't find a thread on vmd about it.

about the state licensing thing. That is something I forgot about. A friend transferred to a Puerto Rican school (LCME) but since he wants to practice in Florida he can't now because he's no longer eligible.

about the state licensing thing. That is something I forgot about. A friend transferred to a Puerto Rican school (LCME) but since he wants to practice in Florida he can't now because he's no longer eligible.

What were the complicating issues? Was the school he transferred from not recognized by Florida?

love the avatar, btw

All I'm saying is according to everything I know Residencies closed to FMGs and states closed to a school you attended before will be closed, you are still an FMG unless you redo Basic Sci you did in the Caribbean. I post this point a lot and some understand and some do not, the main educational part of medschool that is looked at is Basic Sci not clinicals, for some reason many Caribbean grads think clinicals matter so much, once you pass step One you are just about a Doctor, yes you have Clinical Knowledge to be exposed to but the Meat and Potatoes of Medicine was Basic you build on MD from there the rest of your life.

You can post you don't care about this and that but it doesn't escape these facts. Yes you be a little better off but it is not a full US MD degree. This is why I tell most people Transferring is really not worth the hassle.

Look I don't make the rules they do I'm just the messenger.:luck:

Hi, im a new guy here. I came upon this topic, coincidentally (google search). I'm will be finishing my 4th year of med school (From a carribean school) in August 2007. Im thinking about applying to US medschools when im finished w/ my degree. I have 90 undergrad credit hours (thats how many you needed to get accepted to the carrib school). I dont mind starting all over again, im young. This is more a personal thing that i would like to do. Is this even a reality that admissions would consider (accepting me). Its not transferring, right? I mean i want to finish, and then go apply. What do you guys think?

THIS WAS NOT TRUE WHEN i GRADUATED IN 2000. I cannot find any documentation at ERAS, FSMB, or ECFMG to back up that statement.

I believe: You are a graduate from whatever school you graduated from.

I'd be delightd to be proven wrong, though after having gone through 4 yrs of SGU, an internship at UVA, a residency at EVMS (Norfolk), and a fellowship at Emory, I'm an asistant program director of a fellowship program and have had no regrets about staying with SGU all 4 years. I miss it and I want to go back and teach. The school has given me so many wonderful opportunities that I want to give back to the current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have to submit transcripts from every school attended and I believe every admissions committee will ask the question I'm wondering about: Why do you want to repeat med school all over again, specially if you have an MD degree from another school, taken the steps (you can't graduate if you don't right?) and are ready to move on?

I believe that would look suspicious on your application - but no one can stop you from trying and see what happens!!!
Good luck!

Hi, im a new guy here. I came upon this topic, coincidentally (google search). I'm will be finishing my 4th year of med school (From a carribean school) in August 2007. Im thinking about applying to US medschools when im finished w/ my degree. I have 90 undergrad credit hours (thats how many you needed to get accepted to the carrib school). I dont mind starting all over again, im young. This is more a personal thing that i would like to do. Is this even a reality that admissions would consider (accepting me). Its not transferring, right? I mean i want to finish, and then go apply. What do you guys think?

Remember there is one question on the AMCAS app for a reason.

Have you attended medical school before?? YES or NO

If you pick YES you need to explain and your app is automatically flagged. Trust me....

THIS WAS NOT TRUE WHEN i GRADUATED IN 2000. I cannot find any documentation at ERAS, FSMB, or ECFMG to back up that statement.

I believe: You are a graduate from whatever school you graduated from.

I'd be delightd to be proven wrong, though after having gone through 4 yrs of SGU, an internship at UVA, a residency at EVMS (Norfolk), and a fellowship at Emory, I'm an asistant program director of a fellowship program and have had no regrets about staying with SGU all 4 years. I miss it and I want to go back and teach. The school has given me so many wonderful opportunities that I want to give back to the current students.

So you do not submit transcripts to the residency programs?
To the state Boards?

I'm confused? If you did Basic Science at SGU and transferred to UMD then when it comes tim to submit transcripts they would see the SGU and the UMD , Uh so they will know you went to the Caribbean, How this not true? Please I would like to know.:luck:

Also I will admit I'm a MS II so I have not gone through the match so do you submit your transcripts for the match? Does the residency programs look at your Medical school History, is it lying to act like you went to a US school all 4 years when you didn't and would that cause you a problem if you did?

Sorry, i dont know what flagged means?

My school doesn't require that you have passed the steps, but as long as you are motivated you generally take them before you finish.

As i said repeating is just a personal thing i want to do. i feel it would make me a better doctor. i feel as though i am lacking certain fundamental things that should come easily to other people. This is both a flaw with the school i attended and as well as a lack of effort on my part in the beginning.

I dont mind the time. I think it will better me.
I just dont feel competent enough to be a good dr., i dont think its fair to any patient. Thats how i feel. :)

I think the good rule of thumb is that if you somehow choose to attend a Caribbean school, you should go in assuming that you will finish all 4 years (graduating) there. Transfer does happen but it is quite rare and you have to keep in mind that it might not happen to you. Whatever route you select, be prepared to go all the way.

Sorry, i dont know what flagged means?

My school doesn't require that you have passed the steps, but as long as you are motivated you generally take them before you finish.

As i said repeating is just a personal thing i want to do. i feel it would make me a better doctor. i feel as though i am lacking certain fundamental things that should come easily to other people. This is both a flaw with the school i attended and as well as a lack of effort on my part in the beginning.

I dont mind the time. I think it will better me.
I just dont feel competent enough to be a good dr., i dont think its fair to any patient. Thats how i feel. :)

All you can do is try and see what'll happen. The worst thing that could happen is you don't get in anywhere. I don't think anybody could say for certain that you will or will not get in.

I hear the odds are against you, but others have done it. You can too. Best wishes which ever way you go. :)

So you do not submit transcripts to the residency programs?
To the state Boards?

I'm confused? If you did Basic Science at SGU and transferred to UMD then when it comes tim to submit transcripts they would see the SGU and the UMD , Uh so they will know you went to the Caribbean, How this not true? Please I would like to know.:luck:

Also I will admit I'm a MS II so I have not gone through the match so do you submit your transcripts for the match? Does the residency programs look at your Medical school History, is it lying to act like you went to a US school all 4 years when you didn't and would that cause you a problem if you did?

noone's saying that you don't submit your transcripts, and they don't see that you do your basic science in the caribbean. you tell them you graduated from a US school and you tell them you transferred from the caribbean, but it doesn't matter because you got your degree from a US school. in other words, a US school certified that you received a medical education that meets their LCME-approved standards. and that's all that matters.

of course, i could still be wrong. i'm just trying to make sense of things from what i'm reading here. the confusion seems to stem from the belief that where you do your basic science defines whether or not you are an FMG. maybe if you found an official document supporting that, it would clear things up, but i imagine finding an official document on a topic this specific would be hard to do.

here's a vmd thread that seems to relate to this, where most seem to agree. i know it's hardly proof, but it's all i could find. strangely enough, i think the OP in that thread is referring to this thread.

http://www.valuemd.com/residency-match-forum/125696-funny-post-about-transfers.html

oldpro, why would you be defined by your basic sciences? I have never seen any information to support this. Further, just because you think that basic sciences are the "meat and potatoes" of med school doesnt mean that others do, or that residency programs would designate FMG or US grad as such anyway!!
I really dont care one way or another, but find it unfortunate that you keep throwing out meaningless assumptions as fact based on your personal opinion that one part of medical school is more important than another, or that you "heard" this from somewhere.
Post an official link and I will stand corrected. However, it appears that the degree that you graduate with defines FMG vs US grad. Thus if you transfer to a US school you are a US grad. Yes you would have to supply transcripts, etc from all institutions.

noone's saying that you don't submit your transcripts, and they don't see that you do your basic science in the caribbean. you tell them you graduated from a US school and you tell them you transferred from the caribbean, but it doesn't matter because you got your degree from a US school. in other words, a US school certified that you received a medical education that meets their LCME-approved standards. and that's all that matters.

of course, i could still be wrong. i'm just trying to make sense of things from what i'm reading here. the confusion seems to stem from the belief that where you do your basic science defines whether or not you are an FMG. maybe if you found an official document supporting that, it would clear things up, but i imagine finding an official document on a topic this specific would be hard to do.

here's a vmd thread that seems to relate to this, where most seem to agree. i know it's hardly proof, but it's all i could find. strangely enough, i think the OP in that thread is referring to this thread.

http://www.valuemd.com/residency-match-forum/125696-funny-post-about-transfers.html

Ok this is how it works. I'm a caribbean transfer to an LCME accredited med school. ON ERAS I say that I did my basic sciences at a carribean school and I did my clinicials at an LCME US allo school. Done deal, I am in the US med student LCME accredited school pile. There are no more issues with liscensing. I didn't even have to send in a transcript from SGU to ERAS. I only have my drexel transcript uploaded. Everyone I've interviewed with knows that I am graduating and will receive my degree from US allo school. I've gotten interviews in Texas and California, and NY. There are no more issues, life is sweet. And every interview I go to the fact that I was able to transfer is regarded as positive since I was able to work hard enough and with a little luck beat the odds. If you can transfer...do it. It will make your life a lot simpler.

At my school, we had 11 transfers my year. 7 from SGU, 3 from Ross, and one from Mexico.

.....I just dont feel competent enough to be a good dr., i dont think its fair to any patient. Thats how i feel. :)

Did you reach this conclusion on your own, or did someone actually tell you that you're incompetent? Maybe this is something to consider in relation to your medical career in general, no matter what medical school you attend.

Hi deeper. I'm sorry to hear that. Tell you what, I believe in you completely. I do not know what anyone else has said or not, and I could care less. I have complete faith in your ability. You come to the hospital where I am doing rotations, when I get to one in Aug or Sept, and I will help you every step of the way. I will help you get to where you want to go. I will help your confidence. I know I can help you. PM me. What do you have to lose? I'll help you. You can work with me any day. I've got total confidence in you. We will not only make it, we will go to the top of the medical field together. Trust me. I got enough confidence for everyone in the universe, and you will too. I am better and stronger than any medical student or doctor in history. I will help you.

Ok this is how it works. I'm a caribbean transfer to an LCME accredited med school. ON ERAS I say that I did my basic sciences at a carribean school and I did my clinicials at an LCME US allo school. Done deal, I am in the US med student LCME accredited school pile. There are no more issues with liscensing. I didn't even have to send in a transcript from SGU to ERAS. I only have my drexel transcript uploaded. Everyone I've interviewed with knows that I am graduating and will receive my degree from US allo school. I've gotten interviews in Texas and California, and NY. There are no more issues, life is sweet. And every interview I go to the fact that I was able to transfer is regarded as positive since I was able to work hard enough and with a little luck beat the odds. If you can transfer...do it. It will make your life a lot simpler.

At my school, we had 11 transfers my year. 7 from SGU, 3 from Ross, and one from Mexico.

Hey...I just applied to SGU, Ross, and SABA...my story is basically I screwed up a little in undergrad...otherwise I would've gotten into a US school...I have a strong desire to transfer if I go to one of these 3 schools...I was wondering how strong they look upon ur undergrad GPA and MCAT? Thanx