Transfering student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:
I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about transfering from a foeign med school to med school in US. Can this be done? Is it difficult? Do I have to redo my MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

It's nearly impossible because of 1) the limited number of seats available for transfer students (some schools may have one, others may have none) and 2) the large number of US med students who go for those transfer seats.

Tim of New York City.

Hi...

I agree with Tim's statement: most spots open for transfer occur because another student has transferred, dropped/flunked out or died. Given the extremely low attrition rate in med school, this doesn't leave a lot of spots. In addition, some schools only accept transfers from that particular state, from those who's family works for the medical center or other "substantial" reasons.

In regard to your 2nd question, you are not likely to have to retake the MCAT, but rather have Step 1 scores to present as way of your qualifications to transfer.

Best of luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
First off...NO you do not have to redo your MCAT..but you do have to do well on your USMLE 1 and 2.

Although I do agree with the above strongly, I do know quite a few foreign med students to get over in the states. The key is who you know, and even with that you may still have lower chances. It is possible though to complete med school in another country and do VERY WELL on the boards and you will have a chance.

If it is the only option you have, then it is worth the try. But remember, applying to medical school after rejection from a US school for a second, and even third time has its advantages.

Also, I am not sure if this is accurate or not, but I believe that there is a Carribean program associated with the US that foreign students can go for a year or two and then easily transfer into a US residency...however, I am not sure of the details

hi rehabie,

i was just wondering if you`re studying medicine in canada because canadian medical schools aren't considered foreign in the US. so if you want to transfer to a med school in the states, you would be considered as a regular US student.