Transferring between dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few questions for those of you all who transferred dental schools from San antonio to Houston after their first year.
1) How did you like the curriculum in Houston vs San Antonio?
2) Was the transition difficult? Did they make you take extra classes over the summer to make up what you missed?
3) When did you find out whether or not you got in?
4) overall do you feel like you made the right decision?

Due to my circumstances I have filled out an application to transfer, however, I don't know anything about the Houston dental school. Answering these questions and adding any additional comments would be helpful.

Also, I know that UTHSCSA fall semester starts in the 1st week of July and I am concerned that I wont hear back from Houston until mid July since their school doesn't start until August. What should I do if that is the case? In order for me to enroll in classes at SA, I'll have to pay my tuition and once my tuition is paid I can't really get a refund.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Umm can I ask why you're transferring to a school you know nothing about?

It's a pretty long story but I'll try summing it up for you...

My mother in law is very sick, my husband is out of the country, my father in law takes care of the business so he isn't home very often to look after his wife. They make me drive from SA to Houston every weekend and it's become very difficult to keep up with school.

I know Dental school isn't easy (anywhere)... I study until my brain can't function anymore, and having this additional burden is really starting to take its toll on me mentally, physically, and emotionally.

So I thought being closer to home wouldn't take away from my studies and involvement in school activities. So I'm not cramming from test to test or slopping my way through dental anatomy just so I can make it home earlier.

I'm not trying to look for an easy way out b/c there is no easy way... like I said before, dental school is hard no matter where you are. But being at home will at least make it a little less stressful in my situation.

hello, my ask what ended up happening with your transfer situation?