Transferring from a Community College

Started by simplyjean
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

simplyjean

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just recently transferred from a community college (didn't have money to go to a 4-year right away) into a 4-year university that has a strong agricultural base and a lot of animal science opportunities. I spent 2 years at the CC and ended up with 85 credits transferring into my 4-year and a 3.9 gpa. I took the highest transferable courses they offered which included Physics 1&2 and Organic 1&2.
My question is, will spending 2 years at a CC hurt my chances of getting into vet school, even though I will be spending the next 2 years at my 4-year and receive my BS there? (if so, is there anything I can do to make up for this) Also, I have heard that some vet schools do not accept Organic from a CC. Will I possibly need to retake organic, even though I made As in both and it transferred in to my 4-year?

My apologies if this has already been answered, I tried searching the forums and didn't find anything that answered my question right away.
 
Like PinkPuppy said, whether or not a school will take your CC credit will greatly depend on the school. I know personally know of a school that only wants Biochem at a 4-year University, while others may want Organic or Microbiology as well (etc etc). There may be schools that won't care where the credits come from at all. The best option might be to look up the pre-reqs on the school's website that you are thinking about applying to (some have it explicitly spelled out, some don't), and if you can't find anything there then shoot the admissions an email or give them a call. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also a transfer student, and I took OChem at the CC. None of the 11 schools I applied to had any problem with Ochem coming from a CC, but some schools might be different. You'll have to check their websites. UF and UCDavis, for example, want you to take certain science prereqs (Genetics, Biochem, Physio (Davis)/Microbio (UF)) at a four year university, because they consider them upper-division prerequisites. Just double check that the schools you apply to accept Ochem from CC - most should, since it's a lower division course.

Overall, there's no reason why taking CC classes should hurt you, especially since your grades were good. Lots of people take CC classes to fulfill prerequisites. Just prove you can handle a decent course load at your university (e.g. do well taking 15 units/ semester), and you should be fine.