Transferring from a JC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, guys:

The general wisdom I'm hearing seems to be that you shouldn't take your premed classes at a junior college.

Here's the deal. I'm transferring to UC Davis, and the major I'm transferring as (biology - which would be my major even if I don't go into medicine) requires that I take calculus, a year of chemistry and a semester of biology prior to being admitted. This means (as far as I presently know) taking these courses at the JC that I'm going to. Is this a bad thing? Should I transfer w/o having taken these courses, as a different major, then change my major once I'm in?

Also, does the "transfer rate" of the JC you're going to, matter? What about the reputation of your school?

My school is in a working class area. Since it's the school I can get to in under an hour, it's the one I'm going to. My school has good programs for GEs; they have a guaranteed admission setup with Davis, which is what I'm using. You can get a good education in the basics (they have all the GE classes), and make your transfer requirements, but they don't have the "transcendental theory of ancient Russian underwater basket weaving" classes that the other schools have. The school is mostly setup for vocational education (in fact it's where I'm getting my EMT-B also).

Anyway, thanks -
3rdUnity

Members don't see this ad.

thirdunity said:
Question, guys:

The general wisdom I'm hearing seems to be that you shouldn't take your premed classes at a junior college.

Here's the deal. I'm transferring to UC Davis, and the major I'm transferring as (biology - which would be my major even if I don't go into medicine) requires that I take calculus, a year of chemistry and a semester of biology prior to being admitted. This means (as far as I presently know) taking these courses at the JC that I'm going to. Is this a bad thing? Should I transfer w/o having taken these courses, as a different major, then change my major once I'm in?

Also, does the "transfer rate" of the JC you're going to, matter? What about the reputation of your school?

My school is in a working class area. Since it's the school I can get to in under an hour, it's the one I'm going to. My school has good programs for GEs; they have a guaranteed admission setup with Davis, which is what I'm using. You can get a good education in the basics (they have all the GE classes), and make your transfer requirements, but they don't have the "transcendental theory of ancient Russian underwater basket weaving" classes that the other schools have. The school is mostly setup for vocational education (in fact it's where I'm getting my EMT-B also).

Anyway, thanks -
3rdUnity

First off California has an excellent Junior College system. Along with most states on the west coast I.E. Washington, Oregon, Alaska etc... The univeristy system is very overburdened and JR college before is often encouraged in many states.

I would not listen to those who say you should never take credits at a Jr College. There are plenty of people before you who have taken credits at a jr college and gotten into medical school. In fact I know of at least two people at the University of Washington who have taken JR College credits.

Just make sure you do well, and you will be FINE! Follow what is best for you.

T

thirdunity said:
Question, guys:

Anyway, thanks -
3rdUnity

I transferred from a JC to UC Davis. Many people do it.. I was very successful at Davis and actually showed steady increase in my grade performance (but also worked a lot harder). I am applying this cycle, and will let you know how it worked out for me. Hint: Just get a lot of ECRs leadership and community service in there somehow and you will be fine. Research is a big thing if you want to make a difference.. just email professors or run by south hall to get some information. There are all kinds of professors out there that want someone to do some grunt work (but it will pay off for you with a great LOR).

Good luck!

:eek:

Hi there,
I don't know about California, but I just transferred form a community college in the same city as the U I am going to. If yours is close, it might have the same profs and textbooks as the U at a lower price. I even got an extra credit hour for a few courses. Anything for that gpa, right?