Transferring from a university and GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega_703

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferring from my undergraduate institution and so far have a 4.0 GPA. However, only grades earned at my new university will count towards my GPA at that institution.

How will this effect my overall GPA when applying to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

All your classes will count.

I took some university classes in high school. Even those counted (good thing I got A's in them).

sentrosi said:
All your classes will count.

I took some university classes in high school. Even those counted (good thing I got A's in them).

It gets a bit confusing come application time, but basically, the credits that you have already taken will count towards your overall GPA.

However, in this new school, you will receive a completely new GPA based on how you do in courses.

Depending on how many courses you took in your old school, your overall GPA shoud be somewhere in between your GPA from Univ. 1 (4.00) and your GPA from Univ. 2.
-Dr. P.

Dr. Pepper said:
It gets a bit confusing come application time, but basically, the credits that you have already taken will count towards your overall GPA.

However, in this new school, you will receive a completely new GPA based on how you do in courses.

Depending on how many courses you took in your old school, your overall GPA shoud be somewhere in between your GPA from Univ. 1 (4.00) and your GPA from Univ. 2.
-Dr. P.
Bingo...with a 4.0 he should understand its simple arithmetic if he stays in the same unit system and basic algebra if he changes unit systems to figure his total GPA :p Just pokin' fun.