Transferring from PsyD to PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleKangaroo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to know if it is possible to transfer from a PsyD program to a PhD program. Is that done/common?

Members don't see this ad.

There was someone in my class who transfered from a PhD to a PsyD. I think most of her credits transfered. She came after her 1st year, but she had to go through the usual application process. I'm guessing a PsyD would have to apply to the PhD programs. Not sure if it'd give you any edge for admissions.

If it is within the same university then it is less of an undertaking

Between universities would be a stretch

Getting lors might be difficult

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is within the same university then it is less of an undertaking

Between universities would be a stretch

I know someone who did this, though it was within the same university and she already had a faculty member willing to take her on. She avoided having to apply to a new program, which I think is the biggest hurdle.

I know people who have changed programs (Ph.D--> Ph.D, Psy.D--> Psy.D., etc), and they had to re-apply completely, and then transfer credits, which seemed like a big PITA.

I know someone who did this, though it was within the same university and she already had a faculty member willing to take her on. She avoided having to apply to a new program, which I think is the biggest hurdle.

I know people who have changed programs (Ph.D--> Ph.D, Psy.D--> Psy.D., etc), and they had to re-apply completely, and then transfer credits, which seemed like a big PITA.

I am currently in the above situation (Psy.D.-->Ph.D), and yes, I had to re-apply and am in the process of figuring out which of my previous credits will transfer to my new program. The experience has been challenging at times but very rewarding as well.

I am currently in a PsyD program but I would like to transfer to a PhD. program. Is it beneficial to finish this next year in my current program and get my masters before applying to the PhD. or should I just take the year off to do clinical research and apply to PhD programs?? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!