Transferring from Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med_student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd semster student at Ross and I wanted to transfer to a US school. I wanted to know if there was anyone who has been through this process to help me out. What is the best time to apply and what schools should I look into, I am specifically looking into the East coast. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are 11 of us who transferred into Drexel class of 2007 this year. Out of the 11, 7 were from SGU, 3 from Ross, and 1 from Autonomous university of guadalajara. The only other school that had open spaces for carib students this year was NEOUCOM. Every year the number of slots varies. You're going to have contact schools directly to see if they take carib students and if they have any spots. Since applications are due by may, you are going to want to take your usmle by april prefferably in march of the year that you want to apply. I know you guys at ross do that semester in miami, so you might want to consider taking the usmle before that semester starts in order to have your scores in on time. On a side note, for all of us that got in, all of our gpas from med school were pretty good (at least 3.5+, all the ross students had 4.0s) and step1 scores of 230-260. Mcat scores were decent (27-35) and most of us came from well known undergrad universities. Hope this helps.
So at this point, ask some proffessors if they'd be willing to write you letters of rec in the future, your going to need at least 2 and a extra deans letter. keep your grades up and rock your boards. Its going to be just pure luck if there are any available spaces the year you apply. This year was an expecially good year for transfer students.
Good Luck to you,
berk

I have a pretty good GPA, so that shouldn't be a problem, but do you have any recommendations as to how to do well on the USMLEs? Are there any specific books you used? Or any other tips that would be helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)
med_student said:
I have a pretty good GPA, so that shouldn't be a problem, but do you have any recommendations as to how to do well on the USMLEs? Are there any specific books you used? Or any other tips that would be helpful?

Well I studied on my own. I used the kaplan lecture notes, Qbook, Qbank, BSS Qs, NMS Qs, and the nbme.

That was good enough for me. Some people take review courses, others just study on thier own. It just depends on how you like to learn.

berkeleyboy said:
Well I studied on my own. I used the kaplan lecture notes, Qbook, Qbank, BSS Qs, NMS Qs, and the nbme.

That was good enough for me. Some people take review courses, others just study on thier own. It just depends on how you like to learn.

Sorry I am new here. So if you transfer to a US school during the beginning of your third year, will you get a degree from that US school? (Is it kind of like transfering from a Junior college to a UC ?) Also, is there any other US school that takes students from the Carribean or is there somewhere I can find out? Thank you so much for all your help.

md09 said:
So if you transfer to a US school during the beginning of your third year, will you get a degree from that US school? (Is it kind of like transfering from a Junior college to a UC ?)

YES IT IS JUST LIKE THAT...YOU GET THE DEGREE FROM THE US SCHOOL YOU'VE TRANSFERRED TO WITHOUT HAVING TO REPEAT THE BASIC SCIENCE YEARS.

Also, is there any other US school that takes students from the Carribean or is there somewhere I can find out? Thank you so much for all your help.

YOU HAVE TO ASK AROUND FOR THAT INFORMATION AND CHECK OUT EACH SCHOOL'S WEBSITE, ITS KINDA LABOR INTENSIVE, BUT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, THESE SCHOOLS COME TO MIND:

1) DREXEL UNIV
2) NEOUCOM
3) NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE
4) GEORGE WASHINGTON
5) CHICAGO MED

steven1174 said:
YOU HAVE TO ASK AROUND FOR THAT INFORMATION AND CHECK OUT EACH SCHOOL'S WEBSITE, ITS KINDA LABOR INTENSIVE, BUT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, THESE SCHOOLS COME TO MIND:

1) DREXEL UNIV
2) NEOUCOM
3) NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE
4) GEORGE WASHINGTON
5) CHICAGO MED

Thank you so much!! This helps a lot!

I was wondering, how long does it take for your USMLE 1 scores to come out. B/c some schools want them with application, which is really early.

How much does your MCAT score, as opposed to med school grades and board scores play into the process?