Transferring money to the Czech Republic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagoml

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone has advice on this. I need to transfer 100 euro to a bank in the Czech Republic (application/exam fee for Palacky U). I've looked at several options for this...getting a check from AmEx, wiring money via Western Union. I really don't want to get screwed in fees (or in lost money). Any input/advice?

Thanks,
Mary Lou

Members don't see this ad.

chicagoml said:
Hi, wondering if anyone has advice on this. I need to transfer 100 euro to a bank in the Czech Republic (application/exam fee for Palacky U). I've looked at several options for this...getting a check from AmEx, wiring money via Western Union. I really don't want to get screwed in fees (or in lost money). Any input/advice?

Thanks,
Mary Lou

By far Western Union is the best choice. It is very safe, cheap and they get the money next day. The fees are about 10% from the amount of money you send. I am not sure for euro, because I sent only US $. But for $100 they charge $15, for $200 is $22, and for $300 is $29. Other thing is when I send money, that person goes and pick them from the bank, I don’t know how thinks work if you need to send them for an University.
Hope that helps.

hello, nowadays there are some even cheaper options, like transferwise with costs around 2%

Members don't see this ad :)
open a paypal account and link to your U.S. bank account. Then, open another paypal account and link it to your European account. send money back and forth at ease with a rate better than most CEX rates from banks and a fee smaller than transferwise... although transferwise is also a really good option if you're looking for a one step and cheap transfer. I've used both these methods.

i would prefer transferwise...
yeah to each their own. It really depends on how much and how often you'll be transferring money. A little bit of homework on which service offers a lower spread on currency buy/sell and flat fee vs. percentage fee could save you quite a bit of money. But if you're already rich and like throwing away money to save a few extra minutes, than that's cool too.