Europe Transferring money to the Czech Republic

Started by chicagoml
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chicagoml

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, wondering if anyone has advice on this. I need to transfer 100 euro to a bank in the Czech Republic (application/exam fee for Palacky U). I've looked at several options for this...getting a check from AmEx, wiring money via Western Union. I really don't want to get screwed in fees (or in lost money). Any input/advice?

Thanks,
Mary Lou
 
chicagoml said:
Hi, wondering if anyone has advice on this. I need to transfer 100 euro to a bank in the Czech Republic (application/exam fee for Palacky U). I've looked at several options for this...getting a check from AmEx, wiring money via Western Union. I really don't want to get screwed in fees (or in lost money). Any input/advice?

Thanks,
Mary Lou

By far Western Union is the best choice. It is very safe, cheap and they get the money next day. The fees are about 10% from the amount of money you send. I am not sure for euro, because I sent only US $. But for $100 they charge $15, for $200 is $22, and for $300 is $29. Other thing is when I send money, that person goes and pick them from the bank, I don’t know how thinks work if you need to send them for an University.
Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
open a paypal account and link to your U.S. bank account. Then, open another paypal account and link it to your European account. send money back and forth at ease with a rate better than most CEX rates from banks and a fee smaller than transferwise... although transferwise is also a really good option if you're looking for a one step and cheap transfer. I've used both these methods.
 
i would prefer transferwise...
yeah to each their own. It really depends on how much and how often you'll be transferring money. A little bit of homework on which service offers a lower spread on currency buy/sell and flat fee vs. percentage fee could save you quite a bit of money. But if you're already rich and like throwing away money to save a few extra minutes, than that's cool too.