Transferring Pharmacy Schools, is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbsoluteEthanol

PHARMACY STUD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some questions answered about possibly transferring pharmacy schools. I'm currently attending University of Maryland and I absolutely love it here! It has been the best experience of my life so far; however, both of my parents have recently suffered serious illnesses and I really need to be closer to them in case of a very likely health related emergency. My folks live in southern California, I already know that transferring to UCSD is impossible, but do other CA pharm schools accept transfers?

Thanks Much!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how far along you are in the program and how similar the 2 programs are. I wanted to transfer after my 2nd year, but couldn't make it work because there were too many differences in the class descriptions. There's no regulation that makes one "therapeutics" class the same as another "therapeutics" class, so they don't know what you've covered and what you haven't. Call the school you want to transfer to and ask them!

Reactions: 1 user
my school received our very first Pharm.D. transfer student ever my first semester.

I think it is a very personal decision made by the two schools and the individual and not something you will find a lot of information on. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really... transferring between professional programs (pharmacy, law, medicine) is nearly impossible due to differences in the way curriculum is structured. However, there is always an option of receiving advanced standing in the new pharmacy school (if admitted), i.e. you could get credit for classes you have already completed. I know someone who did just that.

The best suggestion is to speak to your school, and to the school where you would like to transfer - and see what they tell you. With a solid reason like illness in close family members, they should be willing to come up with a plan that wouldn't cost you too much time.

Best of luck to you, and I wish your parents a complete and speedy recovery from whatever ails them.

Reactions: 1 user
Possible, but unlikely and uncommon.

You'll need to contact each school you are interested in to inquire whether or not they take transfers and under what circumstances. If they do, your transfer would be space dependent and you'd need to be in good academic standing. Sometimes you also need a letter from your current dean. You can't count on being placed in the same year fo the program due to curriculum differences.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some questions answered about possibly transferring pharmacy schools. I'm currently attending University of Maryland and I absolutely love it here! It has been the best experience of my life so far; however, both of my parents have recently suffered serious illnesses and I really need to be closer to them in case of a very likely health related emergency. My folks live in southern California, I already know that transferring to UCSD is impossible, but do other CA pharm schools accept transfers?

Thanks Much!

I can tell you that this was much easier a decade or two ago. However, with all these regulations now, it has become very hard but I have heard of people transferring into the P1-P2 years. Just not P3 or P4.

Thanks Much!

Unlikely, but good luck. We'll see if these schools have a heart at all, right? What about the Arizona schools?

I also want to transfer. I have completed all my didactic courses and wasdismissed from my school because I failed a rotation which lowered my GPA belowthe minimum requirement. Since I completed all my years of pharmacy school,would it be possible to transfer or should I reapply? If I reapply, do theyonly look at my pre-req courses or do they look at my courses from pharmacyschool as well?

Unlikely, but good luck. We'll see if these schools have a heart at all, right? What about the Arizona schools?

Seems like kind of a drive, but I've done Phoenix to 29 Palms & back on a Friday night after work. It's not pleasant, but you could definitely do MWU-CPG or U of A to Southern California (depending on how southern) regularly if you had a reliable car. I don't know how close you need to be, though.

Oh yeah, watch out for cops as you get to Blythe / Quartzite. I've narrowly missed tickets out that way a few times when going, uh, far-too-fast mph. ;)

Good luck either way. :xf:

I also want to transfer. I have completed all my didactic courses and wasdismissed from my school because I failed a rotation which lowered my GPA belowthe minimum requirement. Since I completed all my years of pharmacy school,would it be possible to transfer or should I reapply? If I reapply, do theyonly look at my pre-req courses or do they look at my courses from pharmacyschool as well?

If you were dismissed, it is technically not a transfer.

I would say the OP has a chance because there is a valid reason. Schools might be willing to work with a student in a situation like that. It does depend on the curriculum of both schools and prior grades. I suggest contacting all of the schools that you would consider transferring to and explain the situation and see what they say. It has happened a couple times in the past, so it is possible.

For someone who is dismissed from one school, I would say it is impossible.

In my last year of pharmacy school i would like to do my appes in a state that my school doesnt have any affiliations with. Is it possible to transfer for just p4 year?

In my last year of pharmacy school i would like to do my appes in a state that my school doesnt have any affiliations with. Is it possible to transfer for just p4 year?

A transfer request will almost certainly will not be accepted for a trivial reason like that. You can make the arrangements for that state's rotations if you want (all ACPE schools have to accept within the 50 states if the site can precept within the state).

Yes I have contacted my schools experiential office and they indicated they would only permit 2 sites in my desired state but i would have to find them. My state is extremely saturated that i attend pharmacy school and i need to make connections in the state I want to work in upon graduation to better my chances of securing employment.

Yes I have contacted my schools experiential office and they indicated they would only permit 2 sites in my desired state but i would have to find them. My state is extremely saturated that i attend pharmacy school and i need to make connections in the state I want to work in upon graduation to better my chances of securing employment.

I completely get that, there is a balance though that the pharmacy school has to have realistic oversight of the place (MCOP notwithstanding). I'd be working summers and such to develop contacts f I could, but your position is a hard one as I assume you couldn't enroll in an in-state school at your place.

Thanks Much!

Either dropout of school, taking time off and take care of them or stay in Maryland. Transferring is not commonly done. Pick what is important. No one said pharmacy school was not without sacrifice. Watching your parent die from afar is sadly one of many sacrifices you must endure. At least you had parents you knew.