transferring to a different peds residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wanttoswitch

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm posting to see if anyone has advice on how to go about transferring from one pediatrics residency to a specific different one mainly because of personal reasons. If anyone has successfully transferred after intern year, please let me know the process through which you had to go. Some initial questions include the following: Do you have to go through an application process like ERAS again if you're trying to get a PGY-2 position? Who should I contact first, my current program or the other one? When should the other program be contacted? Any information is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
 
I would start with notifying your current program director. IIRC, you have to be released (or at least given the blessing) of your current program before you can jump into another. If you have a specific program in mind, the hard part is making sure they have a space for you...if there are no empty spots in the class you want a join, they may simply not have funding for you.

It's not the same thing, but I switched from one field into pediatrics and re-did an intern year, so I went through ERAS and the Match again. A friend of mine left her old peds residency program after her PL-1 year and joined mine as a PL-2, but we had a space in the class for her as someone else had left our program. She did go through ERAS again. I think she was willing to go through another intern year, which may be an another option for you to explore.

I'm posting to see if anyone has advice on how to go about transferring from one pediatrics residency to a specific different one mainly because of personal reasons. If anyone has successfully transferred after intern year, please let me know the process through which you had to go. Some initial questions include the following: Do you have to go through an application process like ERAS again if you're trying to get a PGY-2 position? Who should I contact first, my current program or the other one? When should the other program be contacted? Any information is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.