Transferring to another EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Situasian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently resigned from my EM residency and am trying to transfer to another. The program I am looking at has an open spot, but is over their cap in terms of funding by 1.0FTE. How, if any way, can I make this transfer work? I have one year of training left in EM.

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally you want the order to be 1. Find new job then 2. quit old job.
There isn't any way you can pay or have anyone else pay for that transfer. If they don't have funding, they don't have a spot.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently resigned from my EM residency and am trying to transfer to another. The program I am looking at has an open spot, but is over their cap in terms of funding by 1.0FTE. How, if any way, can I make this transfer work? I have one year of training left in EM.

Any help is appreciated.
I gotta ask because the idea seems so ridiculous without a logical explanation to me. Why would you ever decide to resign from your program with only a single year left without guaranteeing a transfer to another program?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would walk through fire in the snow before I ever quit a residency before I have another in hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would you ever decide to resign from your program with only a single year left without guaranteeing a transfer to another program?

I assume because OP was offered the choice to either resign or be fired from the previous program. Otherwise, as you said, there is absolutely no reason to do it in the order presented.

Reactions: 1 users
3rd vs 4th year? and ABEM vs ABEOM? Is your PD willing to write a good letter of rec?

3rd vs 4th year? and ABEM vs ABEOM? Is your PD willing to write a good letter of rec?

I think the OP is pretty SOL. I’m not judging the OP about leaving the program per se because I did something similar but I did as the other docs here said- I resigned only when I had another position in hand and the resignation was one where there was no bad blood between my old PD( who I respect tons an actually was trying to make it to CORD early enough to hear him lecture) and myself. I also didn’t have any academic or performance issues which made it easier to ask for a letter.

I think you should go back and beg for a way to finish your final year of training. Like beg everyday and do whatever they ask you to do. Counting vacation and elective time you only have to make it probably 10 months?

Also you have a few issues that will be hard to overcome:

1.) You are in an osteopathic program(that recently became ACGME if memory serves me correctly) that hasn’t been open that long in the main scheme of things. I would say the chances of a traditional ACGME program taking you will be close to zero.

2.) You are in your final year of training which makes you very unappealing to tons of programs from a funding aspect, class chemistry as well as I don’t know if ABOEM will allow you to only do 12 months at a different program?